diy solar

diy solar

Unhooking battery from pwm SCC

When I hooked up my renogy 100 watt starter kit the instructions caustioned not to hook up the solar panels to the 30 amp PWM SCC first. The instructions stated that the battery / batteries had to be hooked first to the SCC befor hooking up the solar panels. Failure to do so would cause damage to the SCC. My question is I want to install a disconnect switch in the positive lead from the battery. What happens if I disconnect the battery/ batteries from the SCC without unhooking the solar panels.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Mel

I have the same Renogy 30A PWN SCC and I have disconnected the battery several times while forgetting to flip the SCC breaker. Each time I've done it I've said "oh crap" but I haven't noticed any ill effects. I have 400w of panels.

By no means am I saying it won't cause an issue, I'm just providing my real world experience since there is a lot of back and forth in this thread. To be clear, I installed a dual 63a breaker specifically for the purpose of disconnected the solar to the SCC, it's just that sometimes I forget.

Back