diy solar

diy solar

Unique Portable Solar Power Idea?

JB73

Good day, & new to the forum! Looking for some advice & feed back from those well versed. Sorry, this is long winded, please stay with me LOL

So, I have what I'd consider a unique plan, unique to me (probably not too unique to those well versed in solar or who are doing off grid already lol).
I have a tiny home I build on our property. Its fed from my main home, via a subpanel, operating all the essentials, like lighting, microwave, small mini split a/c, h2o heater and fridge. All lighting is LED, the h2o heater is only 12 gallons, and the microwave is a small counter top unit which is rarely ever used. No stove-oven appliances. The H2o to the tiny home is supplied from main home and a solar well pump setup will soon be installed to operate the well in the event grid power is lost.

My "unique idea" comes in to play when I ran across & purchased a DOT department of transportation solar powered AM radio broadcasting trailer. The trailer has 4 solar panels currently mounted on it with room to expand. It has a battery box housing 4 large AGM batterys & a water proof electronics box where the radio broadcasting equipment was housed.

Ive stripped the trailer of the broadcasting electronics and in its place, Ive installed a large 240v home inverter ( will need to convert 220 to 110). I replaced the old failed AGM batteries with 4 new ones and have connected the existing solar panels back up. The the panels are currently charging the batteries, keeping them at full capacity.

My idea is to utilize the portable solar power trailer to power up my tiny home when needed, in the event grid power is out. Could also use for camping trips etc. I intend to tie in at the subpanel of the tiny home where I can plug in, maybe using a 30amp power cord, plugging into the solar trailer & then to the tiny home subpanel, use a transfer switch & be able to power up the tiny home. Being smart about power usage and what I would run at any given time, I thought this would get me through things like storm power outages, Florida hurricanes, and who knows what else could be coming down the pike...Im not a dooms day prepper (ok, maybe I am lol) but this world is acting sideways right now.

What I currently have may not completely cut the mustard, i dont know for sure, but I dont think I'm too far off...yes there are other pieces of the puzzle I will still need and Im hoping a knowledgeable solar guy or gal here can point me in the right direction.

Does this seem feasable? Ive worked it over & over in my head and it seems like a good idea.....

Last edited:
Good day, & new to the forum! Looking for some advice & feed back from those well versed. Sorry, this is long winded, please stay with me LOL

So, I have what I'd consider a unique plan, unique to me (probably not too unique to those well versed in solar or who are doing off grid already lol).
I have a tiny home I build on our property. Its fed from my main home, via a subpanel, operating all the essentials, like lighting, microwave, small mini split a/c, h2o heater and fridge. All lighting is LED, the h2o heater is only 12 gallons, and the microwave is a small counter top unit which is rarely ever used. No stove-oven appliances. The H2o to the tiny home is supplied from main home and a solar well pump setup will soon be installed to operate the well in the event grid power is lost.

My "unique idea" comes in to play when I ran across & purchased a DOT department of transportation solar powered AM radio broadcasting trailer. The trailer has 4 solar panels currently mounted on it with room to expand. It has a battery box housing 4 large AGM batterys & a water proof electronics box where the radio broadcasting equipment was housed.

Ive stripped the trailer of the broadcasting electronics and in its place, Ive installed a large 240v home inverter ( will need to convert 220 to 110). I replaced the old failed AGM batteries with 4 new ones and have connected the existing solar panels back up. The the panels are currently charging the batteries, keeping them at full capacity.

My idea is to utilize the portable solar power trailer to power up my tiny home when needed, in the event grid power is out. Could also use for camping trips etc. I intend to tie in at the subpanel of the tiny home where I can plug in, maybe using a 30amp power cord, plugging into the solar trailer & then to the tiny home subpanel, use a transfer switch & be able to power up the tiny home. Being smart about power usage and what I would run at any given time, I thought this would get me through things like storm power outages, Florida hurricanes, and who knows what else could be coming down the pike...Im not a dooms day prepper (ok, maybe I am lol) but this world is acting sideways right now.

What I currently have may not completely cut the mustard, i dont know for sure, but I dont think I'm too far off...yes there are other pieces of the puzzle I will still need and Im hoping a knowledgeable solar guy or gal here can point me in the right direction.

Does this seem feasable? Ive worked it over & over in my head and it seems like a good idea.....
~Inverter is Solar Edge 5000w 240v HD Wave
~Total of 4 AGM Renology 200ah batteries
~Total of 4 Sharp 80w each solar panels with room to mount more panels.
~Morningstar ProStar 30 controller(was already w/ trailer when purchased)

It just needs an energy audit to know how much power you expect to supply and for how long.

Only then will you know if the batteries, inverter/charge controller are of sufficient capacity for your needs.

But yeah it's all totally doable. It's not overly different to my set up except mine is not in a trailer:
- All in one inverter/charge controller, 4kW 230V AC output
- 48V SLA battery bank, 190Ah, plan to double that shortly
- 6 x Longi 370W panels mounted on my garage

This will be enough to supply our main home, my large mancave and our secondary dwelling, each of which probably have a high energy draw that your tiny house. Once I add the extra batteries we will have ~15 hours coverage on battery alone, while the supplemental solar PV will extend that somewhat depending on light conditions during the period following the initial cause of outage. Also have a generator to provide supplemental power to the system. 2 hours of the generator will provide enough charge for 8 more hours of backup.

I think you have the potential to back up both buildings, not just the tiny home.

My idea is to utilize the portable solar power trailer to power up my tiny home when needed, in the event grid power is out. Could also use for camping trips etc.
~Inverter is Solar Edge 5000w 240v HD Wave
That inverter is a grid tie only inverter. Does not work when the grid goes down, does not work with batteries.

Your best option is to sell that inverter and purchase an all in one unit like a growatt/mpp unit. These are designed for your application. They support off grid solar with grid pass through for "backup". This allows you to supply the house/cabin/trailer with whatever power you can make off the solar and when that is insufficent to use the grid as backup without any interuption to the structure.

Solar trailers are a thing for a few folks.

Part of why I want to build a cargo trailer into a camper is to load it out with solar without having to strip down a crappy pre-built one that's already got insufficient insulation.

The net result will be a 3kw, 13kwh (maybe more) 120v output I can power my fridge and freezer with as needed. Should cover them for several days.

It just needs an energy audit to know how much power you expect to supply and for how long.

Only then will you know if the batteries, inverter/charge controller are of sufficient capacity for your needs.

But yeah it's all totally doable. It's not overly different to my set up except mine is not in a trailer:
- All in one inverter/charge controller, 4kW 230V AC output
- 48V SLA battery bank, 190Ah, plan to double that shortly
- 6 x Longi 370W panels mounted on my garage

This will be enough to supply our main home, my large mancave and our secondary dwelling, each of which probably have a high energy draw that your tiny house. Once I add the extra batteries we will have ~15 hours coverage on battery alone, while the supplemental solar PV will extend that somewhat depending on light conditions during the period following the initial cause of outage. Also have a generator to provide supplemental power to the system. 2 hours of the generator will provide enough charge for 8 more hours of backup.

I think you have the potential to back up both buildings, not just the tiny home.
Agree. My concern is in FL and wanting use as hurricane temp. Means min 2400pa panels and might need inspection/permit (FL strict like mine on NC coast).

Ya 240V is overkill in this case anyways and lends complexity that isn’t required unless well pump is 220V
I do have 220v well pump for main home but my current inverter setup & what I currently have going on doesnt really help me in what i want to accomplish.

My intentions are to have a portable solar trailer that I can use as emergency power. I also have a tiny home on our property (a kind of hurricane refuge when the grid goes down) which is fed from main home via subpanel. I would like to be able to throw main panel breaker in the event grid is out, and then feed the tiny home with portable solar power. The tiny home has minimal draws, and the fridge/freezer, mini split low amp draw a/c, and small 12gallon 110v water heater would be the only real draws. Everything else is led lighting and or things I could live without for a few days until power is restored to grid. The only downside would be water supply from the well would be nonexistent because the 220v pump. Ive even thought of fitting well with solar setup.......
I was misinformed when I purchased my inverter, again Im completely solar illiterate & took advice from someone who wasnt solar savvy ?
Hopefully someone will be in need of my brand new inverter and then I can take good advice from people who know, like folks on this forum and I can move on to purchasing the correct inverter and finalizing my project.

Agree. My concern is in FL and wanting use as hurricane temp. Means min 2400pa panels and might need inspection/permit (FL strict like mine on NC coast).
When you say 2400pa, are we talking wind / snow loads etc and building codes. I plan to have all panels mounted on portable trailer allowing me the freedom of true portable emergency power. In my most recent post, i tried to explain in a bit more detail on what Im trying to accomplish?

When you say 2400pa, are we talking wind / snow loads etc and building codes. I plan to have all panels mounted on portable trailer allowing me the freedom of true portable emergency power. In my most recent post, i tried to explain in a bit more detail on what Im trying to accomplish?
There's 2: one for snow load and one for wind. Snow is usually more than wind. U may not have a requirement there. I dont (doesnt snow here).

Anyway 2400pa = up to 130mph wind resistance. Theres a 3600pa but 2400 is the norm.

And listen, if u do have to get Code approval, they wont care its on a portable trailer. Its pass or fail.

Also, think was u that mentioned a well pump? I have one too. County made everybody switch to their water but can use well to wash car, water garden, etc

Point is: I see a lot about those pumps here. Dont pay much attn but do wonder why such high V. Mine isnt, nor us pool pump, just wondering.

Y
County made everybody switch to their water but can use well to wash car, water garden, etc
Ya, so I’d be washing clothes or taking a shower at 6:30AM which is when my mental health ocd disability makes me wash my car…

The building code is “the building code”.......it does not govern vehicles......there is no “building inspectors for the vehicle mounted solar systems”

Locally (in my jurisdiction) off grid solar is not legal, Legally i “must” pay the local POCO to install power lines as the “state” has declared that the POCO has a considerable investment in the power grid and therefore has a investment in my property.

I have a large very dead “motorhome” , but register able under the law. I have a huge array mounted on the motorhome, completly shadowing the motorhome. The engine and powertrain has been removed and a permanent tow-bar has been attached thus making it a “trailer” . I have California permanent trailer license plates on it. The interior is gutted so it is not “housing” but it does have a factory installed 3kw. Onan generator. The interior contains the electronics and battery compartments where i have two banks of large format lead acid batteries complete with ventilation system to vent acid fumes and hydrogen gas. The “electronics compartment“ contains the several MPPT controllers, several inverters, not in parallel, a small Exeltech (super clean with very low EMI/RFI) everyday inverter and a much bigger MagnaSine 120/240 volt inverter to rum my 240 volt deep well pump as well as the shop in the barn and other big loads.

The house and workbarn and the deep well pump “ plug in“ therefore are not a part of the system....

I am totally loopholeing the law with this setup. It is not a ground mount or a building so is not regulatable by the building authority and the “sink, stove, bed, and refrigerator” have been removed thus it is not “housing” as regulated by the state housing authority .....you “must have” three of the four to be a “motorhome or housing approved trailer” to quality as housing thus i have removed the motorhome title and registration and retitled the unit as a trailer.

When you just cant comply with the system loophole them to death.....

The building inspector “jumped up and down” and stormed off the property as there was not squat that he could do about it. Not that he didn't try, it was “out of his jurisdiction“......

Last edited:
Im not too concerned about code enforcement and or permitting for portable solar, its not for my main home & they dont need to know lol ?....wind ratings are not much concern for me either, as I would store it away in major storms. If wind takes out the storage building, at that point the trailers of minimal concern ?
I mainly want to use in the event grid goes down. I have the perfect lil tiny house to pass the time when grid goes down, as long as i can figure out what inverter i need, and correctly connecting the power up to the tiny house when i need it. Could also use the portable solar power for camping trips etc. The well topic & solar is a whole different deal im not quite ready to tackle yet.

Unfortunately my local jurisdiction is very against anything except super expensive housing as you will plunk down $70,000 permit application fees before you can turn a shovel of dirt. We are one of the smallest counties in population but have a very overreaching building authority. We have the second largest building department in the state bypassed only by HELL-A county (Los Angeles County) . Nearby is Santa Clara County (San Jose) they have 10 times our population but our building department is 5 times the size of theirs. I bought a property which was developed in 1928 so i am grandfathered, existing before the building department which was created in the 1950’s so as long as i do not expand my “footprint” thay cannot regulate me. I do have a 30 amp 120 volt service but if i upgrade to 120/240 volt service im in for >$30,000 utility fees plus the county at least $20,000 permit application fees........so full blown off grid is the logical choice......

Two full off grid systems with MidNite Classic’s main MPPT and MidNite Kid auxiliary controller , lead acid battery banks 426 a.h. at 24 volts on each system. Systems can be paralleled to run huge loads when necessary but are kept separated for 100% redundancy.

All for way less than the permit and installation fees of Pigs, Goats and Elephants utility (our local utility Pacific Gas and Electric) installation of 240 volt service to run my deep well pump.

Regulate me to death and i will loophole you to death......Im native Alaskan......either you learn to survive or you dont....(survive)

The building code is “the building code”.......it does not govern vehicles......there is no “building inspectors for the vehicle mounted solar systems”

Locally (in my jurisdiction) off grid solar is not legal, Legally i “must” pay the local POCO to install power lines as the “state” has declared that the POCO has a considerable investment in the power grid and therefore has a investment in my property.

I have a large very dead “motorhome” , but register able under the law. I have a huge array mounted on the motorhome, completly shadowing the motorhome. The engine and powertrain has been removed and a permanent tow-bar has been attached thus making it a “trailer” . I have California permanent trailer license plates on it. The interior is gutted so it is not “housing” but it does have a factory installed 3kw. Onan generator. The interior contains the electronics and battery compartments where i have two banks of large format lead acid batteries complete with ventilation system to vent acid fumes and hydrogen gas. The “electronics compartment“ contains the several MPPT controllers, several inverters, not in parallel, a small Exeltech (super clean with very low EMI/RFI) everyday inverter and a much bigger MagnaSine 120/240 volt inverter to rum my 240 volt deep well pump as well as the shop in the barn and other big loads.

The house and workbarn and the deep well pump “ plug in“ therefore are not a part of the system....

I am totally loopholeing the law with this setup. It is not a ground mount or a building so is not regulatable by the building authority and the “sink, stove, bed, and refrigerator” have been removed thus it is not “housing” as regulated by the state housing authority .....you “must have” three of the four to be a “motorhome or housing approved trailer” to quality as housing thus i have removed the motorhome title and registration and retitled the unit as a trailer.

When you just cant comply with the system loophole them to death.....

The building inspector “jumped up and down” and stormed off the property as there was not squat that he could do about it. Not that he didn't try, it was “out of his jurisdiction“......
Must depend on where u live. My county has specific ordinance for roof and ground mounting of solar panels.

Of course its buried under accessory in an Appendix but unfortunately, its there.

And yep, its aggravating as crap how choked I feel by regulations. Im freaking county (not city limit) and cant change oil in driveway, gotta put screen to not see 5th wheel parked at rear and gotta put fence around even above ground pool.

Must depend on where u live. My county has specific ordinance for roof and ground mounting of solar panels.

Of course its buried under accessory in an Appendix but unfortunately, its there.

And yep, its aggravating as crap how choked I feel by regulations. Im freaking county (not city limit) and cant change oil in driveway, gotta put screen to not see 5th wheel parked at rear and gotta put fence around even above ground pool.
Oh meant to mention motorhome. I just lost one to fire but before that, I had to keep it insured, registered and tagged. Once again and Im not even in any city limits.

Check ur oridances is what I say. U might be chilling one day and they knock on the door. Happened to me.

I do have a 30 amp 120 volt service
That’s hilarious:D

I love it. When was that service installed? I’ve seen screw-in fuse boxes with two 20A? glass/porcelain fuses and 50A boxes but that’s awesome. So curious I am, yoda
I’m native Alaskan......you learn to survive or…
Being NH-born and fairly enculturated I can relate to the mindset and will to…make things work :)

Last edited:
That’s hilarious:D

I love it. When was that service installed? I’ve seen screw-in fuse boxes with two 20A? glass/porcelain fuses and 50A boxes but that’s awesome. So curious I am, yoda
Its gotta be pre ‘40’s as there is no main, no “cutoff switch” only one 30 amp screw in fuse in a very antique box. All cotton covered wire and PG&E has installed a warning plaque “Warning Meter readers DO NOT TOUCH SERVICE” read from 3 feet,

If i touch it I need a permit, I have to pay $5.00/month for utility access and use it at a minimum to maintain that service so I do use maybe $10. / per month

I do not have a “smart meter” as the ones used locally do not read 120 volt service. I have never seen a meter reader so I think they “guess” at my usage and bill me at a minimum amount rather than fuss with it.

I do have “grid service” so I am legal for housing.

Personally I do not need a 5 bedroom house with every gismo known to mankind.....Im perfectly happy with my 832 sq.ft. “summer cabin” I have all the nessecary modern amenities, propane gas stove and water heater. Internet access is via a “wi-fi” link with a 24 dbi gain parabola dish using netgear routers with the original software blown out and ddwrt installed as “repeater/bridge” over a 24 mile link to public wi-fi access, no phone lines of cable out here, ATT wireless phone access.

After i retired as “electrical engineer” from a very major player who is known worldwide by a two letter acryonim i have worked in power specializing in old housing and for the local farming industry who will pay big bucks when that 1930’s three phase 100 hp. pump fails on a very hot spell. 480 volts three phase will rule out most electricians who mostly do housing so I have very inside access to PG&E , can call for an emergency shutdown of my local 8kv feed to the pumping installation with no building department involvement. And no permit for the re powerup. Watsonville California is the “Strawberry Capital” of the world and i cash in on that.....service calls on fridays before a 4 day weekend I will cash in a weeks wages in a few hours. They would lose maybe a million before most contractors can respond.

Back