diy solar

diy solar

Unsure of ideal bonding/grounding setup for 3kw offgrid system.

Atomize

I'm building a system with a 3kw growatt and 48v lithium ion battery bank. The panels are about 100ft from the electronics. I'm about to do the wiring and I've read a bunch on it. Still, I'm unsure on the right setup.

I know I need to bond the panels together with grounding Lugs and wire.
And I think I'm supposed to bond things like the breaker box housing in my solar electronics together and ground them.
It seems like code wants a single continuous grounding wire through both the panels and the electronics? They are 100ft apart though, so I'd prefer to bond them separately. And separately would seem ideal for lightning, since the ground for the panels would be right there.

Also, my offgrid growatt(SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 3kW) doesn't appear to mention anything about having a grounding lug?

Anyway, any info or sources would be appreciated, as I've spent a lot of hours trying to figure out what approach is best

You are USA?
Panel frames should be grounded at the array. This is not the same as panel grounding with a ground rod at the residence; electrically a ground rod is not required.

Code for your locale may require a ground rod from the unit or distribution panel but after relearning grounding concerns from here in diysolarforum I’m not comfortable saying what I think about that.
Electrical system “grounds” to dirt need to be in a single location.

Last edited:
You are USA?
Panel frames should be grounded at the array. This is not the same as panel grounding with a ground rod at the residence; electrically a ground rod is not required.

Code for your locale may require a ground rod from the unit or distribution panel but after relearning grounding concerns from here in diysolarforum I’m not comfortable saying what I think about that.
Could you explain what you mean by "grounded at the array"? Do you mean a ground wire connecting all the solar panels should be grounded at the AC sub-panel?

Could you explain what you mean by "grounded at the array"? Do you mean a ground wire connecting all the solar panels should be grounded at the AC sub-panel?
No. There is a difference between equipment grounding and electrical grounding. The array frames should be earth grounded for atmospheric charge and lightning issues. Nothing to do with your household electrical panel.

You can see my grounding of a array in photos here
#8 bare copper wire-hits all 24 panels then to ground rod-maily for lightning issues which are very rare here.

Back