diy solar

diy solar

unused lf280k release fluid with an odor like acetone.. are they safe to use?

mahdi89

unused lf280k unswollen (AMY) release fluid with an odor like acetone.. are they safe to use?

Is it leaking from the vent valve on the top of the battery?
I will not use it.

9054EAEB-2682-42F6-A7AA-5C70EB5E446B.jpeg
The ring was off.. amy is telling me it maybe the coolant used with welding
What do you think guys?

For safety's sake, it's best not to use it, because it's impossible to tell if it's coolant or electrolyte, and the best way is to stay away from it. LiFePO4 battery leak is uncommon, but once it occurs, it is more dangerous.

View attachment 98267
The ring was off.. amy is telling me it maybe the coolant used with welding
What do you think guys?
I would tend to doubt it is coolant from welding, wouldn't all cells smell if it was?

The chemical inside is pretty toxic stuff, it actually forms a strong acid with water, like humidity. Also like the lining of your lungs. If it leaks on it's side it needs to be disposed of. It is not safe to use.

Every photo I have seen of welding lugs on a LFP cell have used laser welders. They use shield gas such as argon or CO2 that flows from the nozzle. No liquid coolant used at all.

If you take the cell outside and tip it again, does more leak out?

i have a cell that leaked several drops of liquid from the negative terminal, cell wasn't packaged properly and a heavy load places on top of pack, and this pushed the terminal -- seller is sending a replacement cell, and am wondering if that particular cell could be used at all, or its still toxic?
the leakage has stopped

i have a cell that leaked several drops of liquid from the negative terminal, cell wasn't packaged properly and a heavy load places on top of pack, and this pushed the terminal -- seller is sending a replacement cell, and am wondering if that particular cell could be used at all, or its still toxic?
the leakage has stopped
The fact you are asking means you are going to likely use it. The up in flames section here has an example of what happens when you place too much weight on the terminals.

Last edited:
The fact you are asking means you are going to likely use it. The up in flames section here has an example of what happens when you place too much weight on the terminals.
thanks for the heads up, fire??, not worth the risk!

I’ve recently received 30 pieces EVE LF280K cells.
The cells were sold as grade A-, which was defined as being different from grade A by having a non-matched capacitance in the range 276-284 Ah.
The cells all have an intact QR code that indicates manufacturing dates between Nov 21 and March 22.

Basically, all cells show bulged/swollen over pressure valves.
For one cell I’ve removed the blue plastic cover. The bulging becomes specially obvious when looking at the bends in the aluminum at the edges.
C23_valve.png

Three cells did show stains at the blue plastic cover just after delivery. A fourth cell showed such stains after performing a capacitance test. For one of the former 3 cells I noticed a tiny amount of a colorless liquid at the location of the stain during the 1st charge cycle.
C28_valve.png

In my opinion these stains occur when tiny amounts of electrolyte leak from the cells and the contained solvent attacks the glue at the backside of the blue plastic cover.

The seller claims that the bulged over pressure valves are a “normal” variation during manufacturing. Given that my cells seem to be from a wild collection of manufacturing dates this doesn’t seem plausible to me.

It would be of great help to me if other owners of similar EVE LFP cells could comment if they have seen such swollen over pressure valves and stains at the blue plastic cover.

I’ve recently received 30 pieces EVE LF280K cells.
The cells were sold as grade A-, which was defined as being different from grade A by having a non-matched capacitance in the range 276-284 Ah.
The cells all have an intact QR code that indicates manufacturing dates between Nov 21 and March 22.

Basically, all cells show bulged/swollen over pressure valves.
For one cell I’ve removed the blue plastic cover. The bulging becomes specially obvious when looking at the bends in the aluminum at the edges.
View attachment 100631

Three cells did show stains at the blue plastic cover just after delivery. A fourth cell showed such stains after performing a capacitance test. For one of the former 3 cells I noticed a tiny amount of a colorless liquid at the location of the stain during the 1st charge cycle.
View attachment 100632

In my opinion these stains occur when tiny amounts of electrolyte leak from the cells and the contained solvent attacks the glue at the backside of the blue plastic cover.

The seller claims that the bulged over pressure valves are a “normal” variation during manufacturing. Given that my cells seem to be from a wild collection of manufacturing dates this doesn’t seem plausible to me.

It would be of great help to me if other owners of similar EVE LFP cells could comment if they have seen such swollen over pressure valves and stains at the blue plastic cover.
They are not grade A cells, but rather grade B cells. The terminology is confusing and should instead be: 1. Passed test Vehicle grade cells. 2. Factory reject Storage grade cells.
All the resellers have cells that failed the Chinese standard tests for cells and are all therefore factory rejects. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them for home solar storage use. The ones that passed are sold to EV manufacturers. EVE also sells them directly but at a higher price and with capacity and resistance testing data.

I occasionally notice a smell from my batteries but it's not strong nor is there any leaking fluid and they all work great.
If it passes these tests, then it's fine to use for me for 48v packs.
1. No structural damage, no leaking fluids, terminals not indented or crooked.
2. 200amp load test (12v inverter with 2.2kw load) at >20%SoC. Shouldn't see voltage drop below 3.1V and should maintain for a few minutes easy. I do this test straight out of the box when they arrive. Two failed initially but that was due to low SoC and were fine after a brief charge.
3. Minimal bulging at cell sides and pressure release valve intact.

My seller is honest and admits they're all grade B cells and recently sold me a batch that she knows measure between 275 to 285Ah.
The few ones I've randomly capacity tested of this batch so far all measure around 276Ah. That's plenty for me.

Last edited:
I had to tip my cells on their sides while I put them in the case I made. I did notice a slight acetone smell as I tipped them, but I saw no fluid leaking. The cells seem fine so far, but I have not used them much.

it can only be the electrolyte leaking, there is no other fluid! battery may be still working ok if this is just some mechanical failure of the shell, but it will be drying up over time!

Back