diy solar

diy solar

Unusual cell voltage (HVD and LVD) but not always the same cell(s) - 16S 48v

UV-PWRD

The short version - I am seeing cell(s) triggering high and low voltage disconnects, which makes me suspect capacity issues, but it's not always the same cell which doesn't make a lot of sense... read on!

Setup
- JK 150a BMS (w/ 2a active balancing on from day 1)
- Heltec stand alone 5a Active Balancer
- MPP7248
- ETC 277ah cells.
- Pack has been in service for 14-16mths
- M4 studs into terminals, copper grease on balance lead connections, washers between things.
- Pack is setup in an 8x2 layout and is strapped with ratchet straps to provide some light compression and uses boards at each end to keep the pressure off the cells directly.
- Pack lives in an enclosure with the other gear, there is a filtered fan (temp controlled) and highest temp I've seen in the cabinet is high 30s
- Temp probes on the BMS appear to be accurate vs the thermocouple on my Fluke 325, the enclosure has never gotten close to zero.
- The pack was top balanced with a DC supply set at 3.65v for 2 weeks before it went in to service. This included periods of letting the pack rest/settle.
- HVD/LVD was previously set at 3.6v/3v respectively, but I've had to widen those out recently due to cell behavior above.
- Bulk charge/float charge settings were always set in the high 54/low 55v range (depending on the season/available sunlight) so the HVD never came in to effect really.
- Max charge from the inverter is 80a. Max discharge was set to 120a with a breaker at 125a - no smart shunts or anything like that in this system.
- Cells are connected by 2x bus bars per connection except between cell 8 and 9.

Background/Issue in detail
- I have had some previous issues with a cell here or there hitting High OR Low voltage disconnect previously, but rarely and there's always some differences between cells. I have moved cells around to confirm it was the cell and not the BMS which it always appeared to be. If a cell was hitting HVD it was never hitting LVD also.
- 6mths or so ago the BMS failed, it would not read 3-4 different cells and it was sent back to JK for repair, after issues with customs and freight times it easily took that long again to get it back, it's only been back in service for a month or so. About 2mths in to that time frame I bought the Heltec 5a balancer and got it running for some safety - note you cannot see anything from the balancer directly but you can measure current on the leads and see it working. It seemed happy enough moving small amounts of current around as the operation was explained as it will move more current in relation to cell differences, bigger the difference the harder it will work up to 5a. I've never seen it moving more than a few amps in/out of a cell under load in the same way I have not seen the JK BMS move more than 1-1.4a vs the 2a rating.
- After putting the BMS back on and being able to see all the cell values at a glance it was obvious things had changed, at rest things are fine and even but under charge/discharge of around 2kw (40a or so) you start to see cell 9 and 16 in particular, but sometimes cell 5 hitting HVD AND LVD depending on whether it's charging or discharging at the time, previously I could very easily pull 4-5kw from the pack with minimal differences. Sometimes it'll be only 1, sometimes 2, sometimes all of them doing this.

- We're talking seeing a cell hitting 3.7-3.8v when the rest are at 3.3-3.4v while charging and plenty of current still coming in so we're not near the top of the pack capacity yet. Similarly, down as low as 2.6 - 2.7 under load but then bouncing back to even with the rest at say 3.2 to 3.3 when the load is removed.

- I have tested with my Fluke and it does show a good 0.1 - 0.2v difference during these times, the display does not update fast enough or with enough decimals to see more than that so it does appear there's some truth to what the BMS is saying - though the Fluke never shows as high or as low.

- I had both balancers running, but have turned off the BMS balancer for now in case they are fighting each other, the problem is still evident with just 1.

- Cell 9 is the first in the second row of 8 cells and is connected via a heavy guage wire as the buss bars could not reach.

- Cell 16 is the main battery positive.

- Cell wire resistance values move around quite a bit if the BMS is restarted (the only time it will calculate them). Problem cells pretty much always have higher resistance values (internal resistance issues?) look at cell 16 in the below. When the pack was first commissioned all values were low .1xx and pretty even, they've gotten less even and higher since then.

- I note the pack has shifted a little, as in it is not a perfect rectangle anymore, I'm unsure if this is due to strapping being too tight/loose or the way force is applied in the corners as it wraps around.
- I am yet to move any of these cells around and had considered bringing the whole thing inside and doing a fresh top balance, but that's a bit of work and a bit of time back on the grid system plus I can't see how that would help if it's hitting high and low voltage disconnects.

Is it as simple as a capacity issue? Issue with having had 2 balancers on? Or do I bring it top balance put it back and leave balancers off and see what happens? Are ETC cells just shit and this is what I should expect?

All assistance welcome thanks.

1656996902091.png1656996879909.png

Last edited:
- The pack was top balanced with a DC supply set at 3.65v for 2 weeks before it went in to service. This included periods of letting the pack rest/settle.

This is likely your issue, possibly the worst thing you can do to new cells. What you are describing are classic symptoms of lithium plated anodes. Check your voltage sag by putting the fully charged pack under its maximum load and noting the voltage drop on individual cells. A significant difference will show weak cells that are due for replacement.

I was advised by the seller, this forum, and the seller again when discussing this issue to top balance before commissioning.

I can already identify weak cells now with a 2kw draw, the screen shot demonstrates it.

As it sits right this second even light loads show bigger deltas. See pic.

If they're due for replacement already then the value isnt there in terms of cost vs electricity savings but such is life.

I don't suppose there's really much i can do besides move cells around to confirm the issue follows the specific cells or do another top balance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-212258.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-212258.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 22
The picture doesn’t show bms sense leads and balancer leads?
I would only use one balance method.
“Washers between everything” washers should only be on top of the last thing.
If the buss bars are rated at 125 amps I would only use 1.
When does balance start? Starting to early can CAUSE problems. I was starting at 3.4 VPC and was having a little trouble. I increased to 3.45 VPC and it went away.

I would completely label all cells, disassemble retop balance. Clean and inspect everything. Reassemble in a different order. Keep notes.

The short version - I am seeing cell(s) triggering high and low voltage disconnects, which makes me suspect capacity issues, but it's not always the same cell which doesn't make a lot of sense... read on!

Setup
- JK 150a BMS (w/ 2a active balancing on from day 1)
- Heltec stand alone 5a Active Balancer
- MPP7248
- ETC 277ah cells.
- Pack has been in service for 14-16mths
- M4 studs into terminals, copper grease on balance lead connections, washers between things.
- Pack is setup in an 8x2 layout and is strapped with ratchet straps to provide some light compression and uses boards at each end to keep the pressure off the cells directly.
- Pack lives in an enclosure with the other gear, there is a filtered fan (temp controlled) and highest temp I've seen in the cabinet is high 30s
- Temp probes on the BMS appear to be accurate vs the thermocouple on my Fluke 325, the enclosure has never gotten close to zero.
- HVD/LVD was previously set at 3.6v/3v respectively, but I've had to widen those out recently due to cell behavior above.
- Bulk charge/float charge settings were always set in the high 54/low 55v range (depending on the season/available sunlight) so the HVD never came in to effect really.
- Max charge from the inverter is 80a. Max discharge was set to 120a with a breaker at 125a - no smart shunts or anything like that in this system.
- Cells are connected by 2x bus bars per connection except between cell 8 and 9.

Background/Issue in detail
- I have had some previous issues with a cell here or there hitting High OR Low voltage disconnect previously, but rarely and there's always some differences between cells. I have moved cells around to confirm it was the cell and not the BMS which it always appeared to be. If a cell was hitting HVD it was never hitting LVD also.
- 6mths or so ago the BMS failed, it would not read 3-4 different cells and it was sent back to JK for repair, after issues with customs and freight times it easily took that long again to get it back, it's only been back in service for a month or so. About 2mths in to that time frame I bought the Heltec 5a balancer and got it running for some safety - note you cannot see anything from the balancer directly but you can measure current on the leads and see it working. It seemed happy enough moving small amounts of current around as the operation was explained as it will move more current in relation to cell differences, bigger the difference the harder it will work up to 5a. I've never seen it moving more than a few amps in/out of a cell under load in the same way I have not seen the JK BMS move more than 1-1.4a vs the 2a rating.
- After putting the BMS back on and being able to see all the cell values at a glance it was obvious things had changed, at rest things are fine and even but under charge/discharge of around 2kw (40a or so) you start to see cell 9 and 16 in particular, but sometimes cell 5 hitting HVD AND LVD depending on whether it's charging or discharging at the time, previously I could very easily pull 4-5kw from the pack with minimal differences. Sometimes it'll be only 1, sometimes 2, sometimes all of them doing this.

- We're talking seeing a cell hitting 3.7-3.8v when the rest are at 3.3-3.4v while charging and plenty of current still coming in so we're not near the top of the pack capacity yet. Similarly, down as low as 2.6 - 2.7 under load but then bouncing back to even with the rest at say 3.2 to 3.3 when the load is removed.

- I have tested with my Fluke and it does show a good 0.1 - 0.2v difference during these times, the display does not update fast enough or with enough decimals to see more than that so it does appear there's some truth to what the BMS is saying - though the Fluke never shows as high or as low.

- I had both balancers running, but have turned off the BMS balancer for now in case they are fighting each other, the problem is still evident with just 1.

- Cell 9 is the first in the second row of 8 cells and is connected via a heavy guage wire as the buss bars could not reach.

- Cell 16 is the main battery positive.

- Cell wire resistance values move around quite a bit if the BMS is restarted (the only time it will calculate them). Problem cells pretty much always have higher resistance values (internal resistance issues?) look at cell 16 in the below. When the pack was first commissioned all values were low .1xx and pretty even, they've gotten less even and higher since then.

- I note the pack has shifted a little, as in it is not a perfect rectangle anymore, I'm unsure if this is due to strapping being too tight/loose or the way force is applied in the corners as it wraps around.
- I am yet to move any of these cells around and had considered bringing the whole thing inside and doing a fresh top balance, but that's a bit of work and a bit of time back on the grid system plus I can't see how that would help if it's hitting high and low voltage disconnects.

Is it as simple as a capacity issue? Issue with having had 2 balancers on? Or do I bring it top balance put it back and leave balancers off and see what happens? Are ETC cells just shit and this is what I should expect?

All assistance welcome thanks.

View attachment 101341View attachment 101340
maybe a "dumb" question, but at what voltage does your active balancer start balancing, or is it always on ?

The picture doesn’t show bms sense leads and balancer leads?
I would only use one balance method.
“Washers between everything” washers should only be on top of the last thing.
If the buss bars are rated at 125 amps I would only use 1.
When does balance start? Starting to early can CAUSE problems. I was starting at 3.4 VPC and was having a little trouble. I increased to 3.45 VPC and it went away.

I would completely label all cells, disassemble retop balance. Clean and inspect everything. Reassemble in a different order. Keep notes.
- That pic is the first day it went in to service, so there was no additional balancer then. the red wires are the BMS sense/balance leads.
- I used both balancers for a few months, but prior to that it has lived with 1 balancer it's whole life, it's back to 1 balancer now, the Heltec stand alone.
- Washers are only on the top of the last fitting between it and the nut, that comment is just to say they are where they should be.
- No rating was given on the bus bars, but I was advised that double stacking reduced any risk of overloading them, I guess it also allows the potential for increased and uneven resistances between the cells?
- The heltec specs imply it's always on above 3v, but current ramps up as the voltage differences increase.

- I had the BMS balancer originally only working above 3.3v but with any cell delta above .05 it would be working, so basically all the time.
In my head though, to see a cell going HVD and LVD means it just has less capacity than those around it yes? Unless there is something to the resistance comment I made earlier, those cells have higher resistances and all have increased (bad internal resistance/failing cells etc).

This is likely your issue, possibly the worst thing you can do to new cells. What you are describing are classic symptoms of lithium plated anodes. Check your voltage sag by putting the fully charged pack under its maximum load and noting the voltage drop on individual cells. A significant difference will show weak cells that are due for replacement.
I did reply to you above but forgot to quote.
I also had a read about plating, is 3.62 (I went and looked at my pics it was actually 3.62) considered high?

The temp right in the middle of the packs is rarely below 10 on the coldest days here, yes that is lower than the 15 I read about in various articles.
If that is the case, then how to manage from here as I need more life out of these to justify the cost and not being able to go above 2kw draw when the pack is fairly full is difficult in a house that has toaster/kettle microwave and a family who don't watch the BMS lol

As it stands I have widened the HVD and LVD points to stop the BMS disconnecting, negating ome of the benefit of having it!

1657061187397.png

I did reply to you above but forgot to quote.
I also had a read about plating, is 3.62 (I went and looked at my pics it was actually 3.62) considered high?

The instant there is no room in the anode lattice for lithium ions they will begin plating.

It’s not the voltage so much as the time held there and the current at which the voltage is achieved.

Moving forward you can capacity test individual cells without dismantling your battery to determine where your cells are at. If there are a couple of stand out low cells then they can be replaced.

The instant there is no room in the anode lattice for lithium ions they will begin plating.

It’s not the voltage so much as the time held there and the current at which the voltage is achieved.

Moving forward you can capacity test individual cells without dismantling your battery to determine where your cells are at. If there are a couple of stand out low cells then they can be replaced.
Hmm, the max output of that supply as 10a and it never got close to that, hence why it took so long to top balance the pack.

How are you testing individual cells without dismantling the pack?

Hmm, the max output of that supply as 10a and it never got close to that, hence why it took so long to top balance the pack.

How are you testing individual cells without dismantling the pack?

Yes, the low current is what causes the plating issue. If you approach full at a higher current the voltage will reach 3.65V without plating.

To test capacity without dismantling the pack ensure the loads are off, then use a tester as normal. (the one pictured is an example of what to look for) Connect across each cell in turn.

If you get new cells and insist on top balancing them with a 10a power supply, charge the cells individually and have the charger disconnect as soon as 3.65V is reached.

Attachments

• F4DFDF0F-DBA3-4141-9F91-C836763BF887.jpeg
    F4DFDF0F-DBA3-4141-9F91-C836763BF887.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 4
Yes, the low current is what causes the plating issue. If you approach full at a higher current the voltage will reach 3.65V without plating.

To test capacity without dismantling the pack ensure the loads are off, then use a tester as normal. (the one pictured is an example of what to look for) Connect across each cell in turn.

If you get new cells and insist on top balancing them with a 10a power supply, charge the cells individually and have the charger disconnect as soon as 3.65V is reached.
OK I don't have one of those handy.
So more info, sun is up and the pack started charging, I know it was on the lower side of SoC due to resting voltages prior, instantly seeing cell 9 and 16 doing the HVD again, thought stuff it, went and quickly swapped them with a neighbouring cell so in this pic problem cell 9 and 16 are now 10 and 15 respectively.
Immediately things seem far more balanced, I note resistance values changed also as they do when restarting the BMS.

I'm in 2 minds about going over each connection, removing 1 busbar to hopefully lower potential resistance (is my logic sound here?) adding some extra copper grease/ensuring there's no debris/build up and refreshing/retightening etc each connection to see what happens (when time permits).

Ignore pack SoC the BMS never knows where it is when it starts.

Also considering letting the pack charge at low current (10a) overnight to ensure it's properly full and let the balancer work on it for a bit.

Thoughts?

1657067803671.png

Putting 65a in it now and still far more even, 0.05-0.07v delta currently, much lower than before.

Then 70, then 80a and deltas are the same.

Last edited:
just did a short 2kw discharge also, much more even.

Is it possible my observations are just issues with terminal connections 0_0

Not dumb at all it's key data and I should have added it, see above response for all the info.
saw that, however 3,3 is too low for your balancer to start.
this will cause greater cell imbalances.
i would set the start limit much more in the upper knee like 3.4 or 3,45

andy ( off grid garage) did a bunch of tests , which may give you some insights.

my advise :
do a full top balance on your cells once more, and make sure the active balancer doesnt cone on untill 3.45

I'll watch the clip thanks, The heltec 5a stand alone is not configurable from what I can see, but it does bugger all until the cell voltages are decent as I've put a clamp meter on the leads before so it's quite conservative.

The BMS balancing is configurable but I was advised not to run them both.

Have disabled the heltec for now, turned the BMS balancer on but only above 3.43 and .50mv difference going to leave it for a week or so and see how it goes.

When I have time I will refresh all the connections as a next step, would love to do a fresh top balance but it means disassembling the whole pack, bringing it into the house, etc etc it's a few hours work and no battery for a while.

Appreciate the assistance so far.

.5mv or 50mv?
0.05v in the JK BMS, which I think is 50mv and seems to be based on what i am seeing from the BMS and balancing trigger at the moment?

What's accepted as OK cell differences?

I also see the Heltec has some pads that can be wired for a switch, meaning I could put a relay on it and only have it turn on when pack is above X volts which is another option is it's a higher amp balancer.

What do people consider acceptable cell delta's in larger capacity packs like this?

Back