diy solar

diy solar

Unusual cell voltage (HVD and LVD) but not always the same cell(s) - 16S 48v

You don't want any type of grease on any of the threads at all. Thread locker is OK, but no grease. I used the screws that came with my batteries and bus bars. I've had no loosening of the screws and my batteries are in an RV trailer that sees some fairly rough roads.

A couple alternative solutions for your balance lead connection:
1. Put the washer in top of the ring terminal. That way the ring terminal won't deform into the bus bar slot.
2. Drill and tap a hole in the bus bar to fasten the ring terminal to. This is acceptable but not implemented by many.

The balance lead ring terminal should always be on top of the bus bar, never between the cell terminal and the bus bar.
Time for some cleanup!

I'll watch the clip thanks, The heltec 5a stand alone is not configurable from what I can see, but it does bugger all until the cell voltages are decent as I've put a clamp meter on the leads before so it's quite conservative.

The BMS balancing is configurable but I was advised not to run them both.
I did not do a top balance or any other conditioning to my cells. I pulled them out of the box and wired them up 2p4s to the JK. The Delta-v was only about 10mv for about 14 hours with a charge current of 25A. When the pack voltage got to about 13.8v one of the cells took a runner and high HVC at my initial set-point of 3.5v with about 200mv delta. I then put a 2A charge on the pack and raised the OVP to 3.6v and it charged for another 5 hours during which time, the highest cell did not go any higher, but the others all marched up to join it. Then they all together until the pack was at 14.2v and the charger shut off.

After that, I have not seen a delta-v of greater than 5mv at any point. If your JK is working correctly it is all you need. I set my charge absorption voltage to 14.0v (3.5v/cell) and my absorption time to 30-minutes to allow the JK to do any balancing needed.

Back