diy solar

diy solar

Unusual leaking battery failure, anyone seen something similar?

badatfarming

I have a 16S 48v 280AH array that had a recent failure I find unusual. The batteries are from SOONBUY Official Store on aliexpress received in 2021-11 and in service since then without problems. Was that store Will recommended at one point? They pulled capacity when recieved and still seemed to be operating correctly. On the leaking battery the bulge disk is still intact and voltage seems to be ok so I am wondering what happened exactly.

My setup is in a standalone "battery house" and I noticed a small amount of liquid on the floor underneath the battery rack I first thought was water but I noticed a hint of a solvent smell. After more investigation I found this one cell where the corner had burst and appeared to have leaked out some electrolyte.

Just a reminder that even "good" batteries sometimes leak and this would have been a much worse situation if these were in the residence and or if the battery house was not well ventilated or the batteries were in a setup where electrolyte could have leaked onto something that would have been problematic.

Anyone seen a similar failure to this?

Attachments

• leaking-battery1.jpg
    leaking-battery1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 105
  • leaking-battery2.jpg
    leaking-battery2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 105
Cell doesn't seem to be bulged, so it didn't crack from pressure, the crack must have been there all along and just finally started leaking. Could have been damaged in shipping and not noticed until now.

BTW, electrolyte in LFP cells is not dangerous, so it wouldn't do much harm in residence, other than a stain and annoying smell.

BTW, electrolyte in LFP cells is not dangerous, so it wouldn't do much harm in residence, other than a stain and annoying smell.

Really?

Really?

@sunshine_eggo

I am well versed in reading MSDS's due to my normal job and I agree with your analysis of the issues with the MSDS you presented. My question is this MSDS specifically for the compound that is in a LiFePo4 battery, or is it just one of the chemicals? it appears to be for a single chemical and if so the real truth can be far uglier depending upon what other chemicals are in the battery case.

your thoughts?

component of the electrolyte.

Rick added his insight in that thread:

component of the electrolyte.

Rick added his insight in that thread:

Thanks, had not read that far into the thread, just looked at the MSDS due to time constraints.

R

Ken

Back