diy solar

diy solar

Unusual terminal "posts" for studs in new 230Ah EVE battery cells

rickst29

Solar Enthusiast
Although some other threads talk about these cells, I'd like to focus on the terminal posts - which accept M6 screws at perhaps 3x the torque of into-the-cell M6-drilled "flat" terminals, but provide much less surface area at the top "lip" of each threaded post. See photo. Although my BMS on these cells will allow up to 200A, my draw should only approach 200A for very short periods: Rotor start on an RV air conditioner, through a 3000/6000 Inverter, and similar reactive weirdness while running a less-stressful 1000 Watt microwave (through that same inverter, and never with the air conditioner running concurrently).

This battery will run in parallel with two smaller ones, BMS limited to 120A and 100A respectively. They have "flat" terminals, with lower-torque screws holding bus bars against much greater surface area. I'm just a bit worried about high current through the bus bars riding on top of those tiny posts, while also using the higher-resistance Stainless Steel screws into the posts to carry a bit of the current.

As you see from the photo, the M6 cylinders have two different "steppings" leading into the bottom plate of the terminal. Using aluminum washers to adapt to both of those increasing diameters seems extremely awkward and finicky to install. Do you all think that I might be able to count on the higher torque and pressure to improve currernt-handling from the Bus Bars through the narrow "post" lips, or should I start messing with washers immediately?

If the Air Conditioner seems to have a difficult time executing compressor start without washers, I could add washers to improve contact later.

Attachments

• Eve 230Ah terminals.jpg
    Eve 230Ah terminals.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 246
Back