diy solar

diy solar

up grade 1986 system

nick20

Feedback wanted on proposed system power increase.
I intend to wire four 100 watt 12 volt panels in series at 48 volts running power down 10 gauge wire 55 feet to 40 amp mppt controler and from there the 12 volt power goes 5 feet more in 8 gauge wire to battery bank made up of 6 six volt batteries wired up in series-parallel to create a single 12 volt battery.
My questions are: Do you recomend the epever tracer 4215 bn 40 amp controler? Is better than the so called "an" model? Is there a better brand and model controler?
Also, I've been using automobile spade fuses, 30 amp, (between panels and controler) and I've been using another 30 amp auto fuse between controler and battery.
Why Is it better and safer to use circuit breakers instead of fuses in these locations (on positive wire)?

Will recommends the BN:

Don't know the difference from the AN.

There are better brands, but they are more expensive. Victron, outback, midnite solar

Circuit breakers double as on/off switches if you need to disconnect.

Do you recomend the epever tracer 4215 bn 40 amp controler? Is better than the so called "an" model?

Will recommends the BN:
Don't know the difference from the AN.
For me the most notable differences are:
  • BN has much higher Max Voc (150V), much higher over paneling tolerance, and body is big hunk of aluminum for better heat dissipation.1600874473178.png

• AN has lower Max Voc (100V), lower over paneling tolerance, and body is lots o' plastic. 1600874764666.png

Back