diy solar

diy solar

Updated Battery setup.

Darren Orange

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my updated setup that replaced the Bolt batteries from Battery Hookup. This is using their new module Lifepo4 Modules.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Howdy,

Looks like a nice clean setup.

I'm not an expert, but I've built up a number of 24v (8s) systems, using the same Battery Hookup packs, and I'm very happy with them.

I watched most of each of your two videos, but the one phrase that I did not hear was 'top balance'.

All of my packs run with a maximum deviation of .020 to .035 volts (20 to 35mv) and the standard balancing from the BMS has kept them in this range for the past 50 to 60 charge/discharge cycles.

Although I do not have a Daly BMS, most BMS's will only enable the balancing circuit when
a. the pack is charging
b. between preset voltages, normally 3.45 volts and 3.65 volts (at the cell)

During this period the balancing current is in the .030 amp (30 ma) range.

Depending on your charging rate, you may see that you will be in this range for maybe an hour or so for each charge cycle.

So, for two hours of charge time, you may shave .060 amps (60 ma) from your run away cell.

If your runaway pack is 4 or 5 amps off (4000 to 5000ma) it may take a long time for it to get in range with the other packs.

Hope that helps and good luck with your system.

I really like my packs and hope they may last the couple thousand charge cycles, that they claim...

DennisB

Howdy,

Looks like a nice clean setup.

I'm not an expert, but I've built up a number of 24v (8s) systems, using the same Battery Hookup packs, and I'm very happy with them.

I watched most of each of your two videos, but the one phrase that I did not hear was 'top balance'.

All of my packs run with a maximum deviation of .020 to .035 volts (20 to 35mv) and the standard balancing from the BMS has kept them in this range for the past 50 to 60 charge/discharge cycles.

Although I do not have a Daly BMS, most BMS's will only enable the balancing circuit when
a. the pack is charging
b. between preset voltages, normally 3.45 volts and 3.65 volts (at the cell)

During this period the balancing current is in the .030 amp (30 ma) range.

Depending on your charging rate, you may see that you will be in this range for maybe an hour or so for each charge cycle.

So, for two hours of charge time, you may shave .060 amps (60 ma) from your run away cell.

If your runaway pack is 4 or 5 amps off (4000 to 5000ma) it may take a long time for it to get in range with the other packs.

Hope that helps and good luck with your system.

I really like my packs and hope they may last the couple thousand charge cycles, that they claim...

DennisB
Yes I did not mess with a top balance honestly. I likely should have but my situation was slightly rushed. I could in theory go back and easily fix that problem, but I am trying with a balancer first to see if it can fix that for me. Thank you so much for the feedback I will try to update here once I get a chance to test the new balancer. It's not that off to me at the top with getting some 95% of rated capacity, so I would hope a working balancer could fix this over a day or two.

Howdy,

I've tried the real Heltec on some of the Bolt batteries I purchased from BH and I was mildly impressed.

I added a voltage monitor and enabled the Heltec only when the pack was at the top of the charge range and it seemed to work.

Then saw a YouTube of one of those Heltec balancers catching on fire and didn't think that was a good choice for the Bolt batteries.....

I do use the Bolt packs at 7s with an xiaoxiang bms running in low current (10 amp max) applications and when I see them getting out of balance, I plug in a ISDT Q8 charger for a day, and that seems to keep them happy.

Enjoy and good luck

Howdy,

I've tried the real Heltec on some of the Bolt batteries I purchased from BH and I was mildly impressed.

I added a voltage monitor and enabled the Heltec only when the pack was at the top of the charge range and it seemed to work.

Then saw a YouTube of one of those Heltec balancers catching on fire and didn't think that was a good choice for the Bolt batteries.....

I do use the Bolt packs at 7s with an xiaoxiang bms running in low current (10 amp max) applications and when I see them getting out of balance, I plug in a ISDT Q8 charger for a day, and that seems to keep them happy.

Enjoy and good luck
HA! Thats fun, I was using 3 full modules in two 14S of Bolt Batteries. I actually own a Bolt EV that is being repurchased by Chevy. After the recall I reached out the BH and asked what they could do to help me considering the batteries are in my house, they accepted their return due to the recall fire hazard. I was very happy with them so I chose to keep my money with them and purchase their modules.

I ran the Bolt batteries for almost 1 year, I can tell you when in complete factory module there is no balancing required. I added a BMS towards to end to test all this and found that the BMS did nothing and the pack was in spec still without any help. Lifepo4 seems to be more fickle in this area, I was expecting to get the packs in a state where they would have all been balanced perfectly and found that it is basicly impossible to tell that. Regardless I am happy so far still waiting on the new balancer.

Back