diy solar

diy solar

Updated Bricked Growatt Spf5000es

Harakiri37

Hey Folks

Im building my first Setup.
I guess i bricked my Inverter.. hopefully someone can help me.

-Growatt Spf5000es
-24kWh Lead Acid Batteries (4s5p - 4x12v 5x100ah)
-10x 415Wp Hyunday Panels
So far so good.

I first made the Battery Bank, then connected the Inverter and now boutht the Panels.

In two days my solar cables would have arrived and the setup would have been almost finished.

So i decided to use my spare time yesterday and upgrade the Firmware of the Inverter, as i was reading that the old fw has a 18a limitation. With my 5s2p panel configuration that would have been a problem.
Also did i had the issue, that the inverter didnt switch back to battery propperly after charging during the night from grid.

So after some research i had all the files and wanted to start with the update.

First i wasnt able go get the usb connection working. It was not the usual SiliconLabs driver.
Adter some more research i found that i‘ve got the new Communication Board in my Growatt and that it uses a uart module from Exar Corp (xr21v1410).
7A8AF5F1-AA61-47C8-AD04-A661FD1DBC77.jpeg
By then i was realy happy to see that ISP Tool (4.3) was now performing the Firmware Update (bevore the driver was matching, it always stopped at „sending Start!“)

After i uploaded both, the device and mptt fw (F2809_SK051.05_20220104_A //
F030 SK052.05 20220104 A) i wanted to reboot the inverter, BUT: nothing…
Not even display output anymore.. the only thing im seeing is that the 3 led‘s above the display are blinking. Thats it. No power no nothing.
11178EDB-5043-4583-80CA-829F6424F4C8.jpeg
So i guedd i bricked it. ?
F****g stupid me!

Is there any way to get a Bricked inverter back?
I can still Flash Firmwares. Tried like 10times so far with 2different Pc‘s but no success.
Both PC‘s Win10.

Is there another Firmware for the Inverters with the new Communication Board? If so, does anyone have the files for me?

Before i started, i seem to had version:
067 01 104 / 068 01 104 on it, saw that from the vid i made from my Settings. Maybe i even downgraded? ??
CC219C7B-3972-431D-B88B-F2C626B258F7.jpeg

I need to get that working again..
I just spend 5000Bucks and now the most important Part isnt working anymore..

Thanks for your Answers and Help!

Greetins Harakiri

Last edited:
Does someone have the 067 01 104 / 068 01 104 firmware files?
If so, can you send me these please? :)

Will you share the new firmware, please?
Also, do you have a link to the driver for "Exar Corp (xr21v1410)".
Thanks,

Im not sure if im allowed to do that..
I can send you a private message, but the guy told me not so share it… hmm.. wont be nice if i dont get support next time because i violated the terms if service xD

Hi,
Finally how did you get it working ?
I fear I bricked mine while trying to update firmware, my laptop got blue screen during FW load… :-(

Wich version of com board do you have? old or new?
And do you have tried to upload again?

It’s the old one. I’ve tried to upload again but isptool remains blocked at Start as if there were no answer from the board. Furthermore the inverter seems to do not switch on from the battery now, I had signs of activity once put on solar, i.e. hear fans but nothing else

Try to disconnect anything and wait for like 5minutes, then short all the connections (battery +/-) pv, p,n,e (preferably wirh a discharge resistor!)
And then try again, they usually come back after a real powecycle.

Good luck

If you are handy with a soldering iron, replace the opto-isolatoers in the comms board. They seem to be particularly cheap and nasty.
Might get you talking again ?

I managed to solve my issue but it was not straight forward.
First I was lucky to have a spare inverter as I initially received a broken one that the seller let me, I swapped the controller boards.
Update failed again, with an other computer and SW crash, I'm cursed...
But finally, with the recovery procedure, I managed to restart FW upgrade : with inverter fully OFF, plug the USB, start ISPTOOL up to clicking to Start button, then supply the inverter with the battery, upload should start : it did !

Thanks for your suggestions

Hey Folks

-Growatt Spf5000es
So far so good.

I first made the Battery Bank, then connected the Inverter and now boutht the Panels.

In two days my solar cables would have arrived and the setup would have been almost finished.

So i decided to use my spare time yesterday and upgrade the Firmware of the Inverter, as i was reading that the old fw has a 18a limitation. With my 5s2p panel configuration that would have been a problem.
Also did i had the issue, that the inverter didnt switch back to battery propperly after charging during the night from grid.

First i wasnt able go get the usb connection working. It was not the usual SiliconLabs driver.
Adter some more research i found that i‘ve got the new Communication Board in my Growatt and that it uses a uart module from Exar Corp (xr21v1410).
View attachment 101869
By then i was realy happy to see that ISP Tool (4.3) was now performing the Firmware Update (bevore the driver was matching, it always stopped at „sending Start!“)

Not even display output anymore.. the only thing im seeing is that the 3 led‘s above the display are blinking. Thats it. No power no nothing.
View attachment 101867
F****g stupid me!

I can still Flash Firmwares. Tried like 10times so far with 2different Pc‘s but no success.
Both PC‘s Win10.

Is there another Firmware for the Inverters with the new Communication Board? If so, does anyone have the files for me?

067 01 104 / 068 01 104 on it, saw that from the vid i made from my Settings. Maybe i even downgraded? ??
View attachment 101868

Greetins Harakiri
I also have the same inverter , two of them actualy. can you help me with the firmware. or at least point me where to find it. The problem with my inverters , they are in paralel and the voltage reading from the battery is diferent , a Fw might fix it.

Oh my gosh.... reading through this thread and then seeing the "Similar threads" at the bottom of my screen. :sick:? What a nightmare!

My 23 year old dual SW4048 set up never has never done anything like that to me but someday it will be time to replace it and I can say that Growatt is off my list of potential candidates.

1659091582391.png

Last edited:
I also have the same inverter , two of them actualy. can you help me with the firmware. or at least point me where to find it. The problem with my inverters , they are in paralel and the voltage reading from the battery is diferent , a Fw might fix it.
I can sen it to you.. sen my your mail via pn

Hey Folks

-Growatt Spf5000es
So far so good.

View attachment 101869

View attachment 101867
F****g stupid me!

Both PC‘s Win10.

View attachment 101868

Greetins Harakiri
Hi dear,

I also have the problem of not being able to establish the usb uart connection with the default driver.
I downloaded xr21v1410 driver from the internet but it crashes the windows 10 im using.

Can I get some advice please?

Cheers,
Sachith

What does it show in Device Manager after you installed the Driver? Does it still show a yellow sign with an exclamation Mark? If so, its not the correct driver. And how does Windows crash? Blue screen? Tell us more, makes it easier to help..

What does it show in Device Manager after you installed the Driver? Does it still show a yellow sign with an exclamation Mark? If so, its not the correct driver. And how does Windows crash? Blue screen? Tell us more, makes it easier to help..
It shows me a silicone labs driver. It does not communicate with the inverter.

Windows 10 crashed when tried to install the Exar Corp driver.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220821-070618_Gmail.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220821-070618_Gmail.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 11
It shows me a silicone labs driver. It does not communicate with the inverter.

Windows 10 crashed when tried to install the Exar Corp driver.
I also have the new communication board inside the inverter. The one with blinking leds.

Exar seems to be acquired by maxlinear. I found a driver on thier site also but the windows keeps on telling me that the compatible driver is the silicone labs one.

I'm trying to get a reply for QTPR command to be sent to Growatt to debug the over temperature warning code (02) I'm getting since last week.

Fans are working, temperature is normal. The air coming out from the inverter is just warm.

Growatt says this is because one temperature sensor is reporting an unmatching reading.

Trying to figure out from which sensor that is...

I managed to solve my issue but it was not straight forward.
First I was lucky to have a spare inverter as I initially received a broken one that the seller let me, I swapped the controller boards.
Update failed again, with an other computer and SW crash, I'm cursed...
But finally, with the recovery procedure, I managed to restart FW upgrade : with inverter fully OFF, plug the USB, start ISPTOOL up to clicking to Start button, then supply the inverter with the battery, upload should start : it did !

Thanks for your suggestions
Can you help me pls with tools and firmware 067? lukedan at gmail com
I'm not sure 067.00.. can be updated with 067.02..

Last edited:
Back