diy solar

diy solar

Updating electric utility vehicle from 48v lead-acid to Lithium

cdg123

After watching some of the recent posts by Will I am encouraged to upgrade our electric utility vehicle (originally a French design, distributed by Ransomes in the UK as the Diabline) which we use around our glamping site. The original setup uses Trojan TE35 6v 245Ah batteries to create a 48v bank but these are nearing their end of life. The motor is 6kW and the tech spec quotes maximum current of 400A which I assume is the initial start up value for the motor. (handbook here)

So, I like the idea of the challenge in creating my own 48v battery pack and BMS configuration and putting a couple of CIGS panels on its curved roof however I don’t quite understand what I would need for the BMS side of things to safely manage the loads. I’ve also got a Renogy 500A battery monitor to keep an eye on things.

Would I have to look at creating 4 x 12v configurations in series, each with their own 12v 100A BMS, as per Wills blueprints or is there a better option than using something like EVE 280Ah LiPo cells?

I’m waiting for the Renogy boost product to be available in the UK so I can take the CIGS output and charge the 48v as a whole as the first phase but would welcome your ideas on what to do from the battery side of things and BMS’s.

Would I have to look at creating 4 x 12v configurations in series, each with their own 12v 100A BMS, as per Wills blueprints or is there a better option than using something like EVE 280Ah LiPo cells?

Nope, that's not going to work. Four 12v 100 A battery/BMS in series is still only 100 amps. A 400 amp load will cause one or more of those BMS to shutdown.

I would build a 48v 16s battery and use a BMS that uses a contactor. It will be hard to come by a non-contactor BMS that supports 400 amps.

Nope, that's not going to work. Four 12v 100 A battery/BMS in series is still only 100 amps. A 400 amp load will cause one or more of those BMS to shutdown.

I would build a 48v 16s battery and use a BMS that uses a contactor. It will be hard to come by a non-contactor BMS that supports 400 amps.
ooops oh yes school boy error on that of course !!

Are there any recommendations for a 48v BMS ?

Back