diy solar

diy solar

Upgrade/improvement critique

robstrom

I'd make pretty schematics, but that will take Mr. Analog a week. Sooo..
This somewhat 'Will's small build' was run fulltime for 5 months, while I lived/worked away from home.
The system:
2 x 420 panels up top, solar disconnect into 40 amp EpEver.
All 4 gauge wire hereafter.
SCC + through 50A self resetting breaker to battery single SOK 206+,return cable ( w 125A burnable AMG fuse) to 90A switchable breaker (for killing inside power for wiring changes, mainly) in pic 2.
+ up to DC bus, down to 600/1000 Samlex inverter (via common post, there's a reason for that).
DC negative bus and inverter negative to common post, back to negative battery terminal.
That's it.
The new SOK 206 will be here tomorrow.
At this point, the main purpose is for more capacity/autonomy.
But, since I have to drive 50 miles for parts...
I'll create the expansion capability, later bump the SCC to 60 Amp, inverter to 2000 watts
Feel free to ask about the build as is, if you see something that seems off.
Longest wiring run from that 50A self reset breaker to battery 5 feet each way.
From switchable breaker to DC busbar n back 2 feet each way, everything else under 1 foot.
Q1: Obviously fusing/breakers get higher Amp, and SOME wiring.
Line from battery common + post through 90A switchable breaker to inverter the only gauge upgrade required?
I'll rebuild cables as required. Rather just get it all done now, so I can plug n play another SCC/ inverter later.

2. A burnable fuse (like the one now) on EACH battery + ?

OY. That IS the short version ?

Attachments

• Solar1.jpg
    Solar1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Solar2.jpg
    Solar2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 17
Resettable circuit breaker is not appropriate for these builds. Especially as close as those 2 lugs are to one another.
What tool did you use for crimping the lugs?
Sorta looks like just a hammer. Recommend you splurge on a proper crimper.
Replace the single post with 4 connections with perhaps a 2 post bus bar. You shouldn't have more than 3 lugs stacked.

Back