diy solar

diy solar

Upgrade to SP6548 for off grid cabin

McDaddy

I completed an off grid cabin 2 months ago and I've been powering the cabin with the Titan with 6000 watts of power. I have 2 solar arrays with 1000 watts each. Using an 30 amp RV plug to power the building with a 100 amp 16 slot breaker box . Fortunate enough to have a master electrician to wire the cabin, but he doesn't know much about solar inverters and such. Recently, I purchased an SP 6548 6500w all in one with a single SOK 100 amp battery mounted in a server rack. I'm upgrading the wattage so we can add a 12000 BTU minisplit to heating and cool the cabin. The size of the cabin is 480 square feet with loft. The shell is insulated with 3" of closed cell foam insulation. I plan to use the same 30 amp RV plug that feeds the breaker box. What size wire should I use for the AC output?
Also, is it feasible to use a gas generator to charge with the AC input on the SP 6548? My gas generator produces a modified sine wave.

Most 30a plugs are wired with 10awg which you may want to increase to give you more available amperage off the SP6548. Your gas generator is a true sine output. All gas generators are. What could be the problem is its ability to supply a consistent frequency and voltage that your inverter can accept both unloaded and loaded. This is the reason many opt for the inverter generators since they produce a more stable frequency and voltage output with changing load.

Not knowing your loads it is hard to say if a 30a service is enough to handle it. It also comes down to if that 30a is 120v or 240v. 30a on both L1 and L2 is different than a max of 15a on L1 and L2 that some people say is a 30a output by adding them.

ETA> I should mention that many folks opt for a separate battery charger to avoid problems of trying to use a generator through the AIO for charging.

Last edited:
Also, the single sok will only be able to supply around 5kw of power. And that’s stretching things pretty thin.

I completed an off grid cabin 2 months ago and I've been powering the cabin with the Titan with 6000 watts of power. I have 2 solar arrays with 1000 watts each. Using an 30 amp RV plug to power the building with a 100 amp 16 slot breaker box . Fortunate enough to have a master electrician to wire the cabin, but he doesn't know much about solar inverters and such. Recently, I purchased an SP 6548 6500w all in one with a single SOK 100 amp battery mounted in a server rack. I'm upgrading the wattage so we can add a 12000 BTU minisplit to heating and cool the cabin. The size of the cabin is 480 square feet with loft. The shell is insulated with 3" of closed cell foam insulation. I plan to use the same 30 amp RV plug that feeds the breaker box. What size wire should I use for the AC output?
Also, is it feasible to use a gas generator to charge with the AC input on the SP 6548? My gas generator produces a modified sine wave.
thanks for responding. The Titan has worked fine, but I don't know if it will be enough to run the 12000 BTU minisplit in the Summer months. The SP 6548 can produce more wattage, but it has an idle consumption of 90 watts. I purchased a EG4 48v battery charger, but no source for powering it other than the champion propane generator

Most 30a plugs are wired with 10awg which you may want to increase to give you more available amperage off the SP6548. Your gas generator is a true sine output. All gas generators are. What could be the problem is its ability to supply a consistent frequency and voltage that your inverter can accept both unloaded and loaded. This is the reason many opt for the inverter generators since they produce a more stable frequency and voltage output with changing load.

Not knowing your loads it is hard to say if a 30a service is enough to handle it. It also comes down to if that 30a is 120v or 240v. 30a on both L1 and L2 is different than a max of 15a on L1 and L2 that some people say is a 30a output by adding them.

ETA> I should mention that many folks opt for a separate battery charger to avoid problems of trying to use a generator through the AIO for charging.
Guess I could use a charged up Titan to power the SP6458 when I have multiple days of no sun.

Back