diy solar

diy solar

Upgrade

Don Keot

We just bought a cabin that is totally off grid and has an early Outback 48 volt system with 10/220v panels, 8 new 6v agm batteries and I think is the 3kw version. I think rather than upgrade the Outback system, I would rather get the Signature Solar system. I’m asking would the new 12kw inverter package be the best for my needs or two of the 6.5kw inverters be more desirable? I will need 240 for the well and water heater and will replace the 2 ton conventional air conditioner with mini splits. I would stay with a 48v system, are there any suggestions and what might the number of pv panels and 5kw batteries be? Thanks for your suggestions, I’m just trying to get it right the first time.

Last edited:
It would also be helpful to list out exactly the individual pieces that you have now and please don't use abbreviations to list them.

Seems crazy to me to replace what might be dependable Low Frequency Pure Sine Wave Outback inverters that can reliably run anything, with High Frequency Pure Sine Wave Inverters that may not run everything such as the few items you listed. Not all high frequency inverters can run all equipment and the newer inverter manufacturers are negligent in telling customers this. It's left to the customer to find out after installation.

Replace the batteries with LiFePO4 if anything and then new inverters or charge controllers don't produce newer fancier kinds of electrons and will fill the LiFePO4s perfectly well.

But ultimately, your post is too vague, as already pointed out.

Thank you for your replies, I have a lot more to learn. I have found through reading that the Outback is a very fire system. I am going to the cabin tomorrow and will get more specific information. I believe it is up and running and I plan to change all the bulbs to led. Your suggestions have led me to think maybe a couple of work arounds might fit our needs.

Great. I’d particularly pause before you get any more batteries (or replace the current). The LiFePO4 may be in your future.

Went to the cabin and things were not well. The inverter screen said battery discharging, critical state of charge 4%. I set the ac output breaker to off. I found the cable from battery 3 to 4 was loose but I did not tighten them because I did not know if i there was any danger tightening them.
5257FAF5-08B1-4977-A3F9-BD3F9D1CB67E.jpeg3AD5E185-CE40-48FD-B91B-B6FC6FEABE71.jpeg10ABAD3E-D8DF-4DF6-BC37-C01E0147849E.jpeg417D85BE-44CA-42D8-AEAF-CCB4BC802C75.jpegDCC71487-760C-4EC4-8139-843AB85D590D.jpeg

WOW! Looks like an excellent system and EXTREMELY CLEAN!!!! My first inclination is there is no way I'd want to upgrade anything, depending on if the batteries are still okay or near the end of their life.

No offence, but have you read the user manuals for each of the parts? That would be an extremely good place to start. If you don't have the printed manuals, you can find them all online as PDF files and then print them out to read and to have easy access to. It really is a must in my experience, to understand how each of your components works, how to input settings, etc., and even then it takes time working with them to do it right and remember the steps.

Next, YES check and tighten all the battery cable bolts if you are going to use the system. Again, the Victron battery manual should tell you how much to tighten the battery cable nuts and bolts. Do you have a torque wrench. Otherwise, clean every nut, bolt and washer and then snug them down tight but not forcefully. They must be tight for a good flat connection, otherwise poor connections can cause heat, damage and fires.

You would best test the batteries under "load" or stressing them via turning on a 500-1,000 watt appliance and watch the inverter and or charge controller reading of battery voltage as it changes. Again, you need to read the battery manual to find out what is normal for AGM batteries.

Are there any "loads" or appliances drawing power 24/7, or normally always on? Any corrosion built up anywhere that we can't see?

I'd clean and tighten all the battery bolts and nuts, check every other cable connection of the inverter and charge controller for tightness and then charge the batteries to full and then monitor them without a load and with small loads to see what happens, such as if they hold a full charge and how fast they might discharge with no load or small loads (an appliance on).

I don't have experience with AGM batteries vs. Lead Acid, but perhaps the Victrons are sulfated inside and so not holding a charge. Victron and their user forum should be able to advise you on how to figure that out. If they are at the end of their life, then get LiFePO4 batteries at whatever capacity you need and or that your system can provide. Ideally, build your own batteries, as it seems to me, you need to read, watch and so learn quite a bit more before you start changing or buying new parts.

Please read the user manuals and maybe do it several times. Victron also has a good document called Victron Energy Unlimited, which you can find in this forum's Resource area or on the Victron Energy website. Well worth reading as a start to understanding how things work together.

Have you done your Energy Audit yet?

Hopefully others with experience will add more to advise you.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/e9/09/F9A5E74B-E23D-4D7A-B506-DB0FA0CB09BB/IMG_4253.MOV

The batteries are brand new, I was there when they were installed. I hope they are not ruined. Maybe I will go back tomorrow and tighten the bolts and nuts as long as there is no danger for me. The previous owner left nothing and had the batteries replaced on closing day last week. It is a off grid cabin and is 3 hours away.

The batteries are brand new, I was there when they were installed. I hope they are not ruined. Maybe I will go back tomorrow and tighten the bolts and nuts as long as there is no danger for me. The previous owner left nothing and had the batteries replaced on closing day last week. It is a off grid cabin and is 3 hours away.

No danger in tightening provided you don't deliberate short terminals together with your tools. Each battery is a 6V and each individual connection has 0V across it, so risk is exceedingly low.

Please check ALL connections in the system including inverter and the Flexmax charge controller. If there's one bad connection, all are suspect. Shame on your installer.

No danger in tightening provided you don't deliberate short terminals together with your tools. Each battery is a 6V and each individual connection has 0V across it, so risk is exceedingly low.

Please check ALL connections in the system including inverter and the Flexmax charge controller. If there's one bad connection, all are suspect. Shame on your installer.
Thank you, I called the installer and left a message but he has not responded.

Isn’t getting those batteries charged urgent?
Yes it is, the installer responded and will come by. I, however, will not jeopardize the responsibility by performing any work myself, he installed it, he should fix it. He needs to see his employee’s work. The batteries were just bought and paid for by the previous owner last week. Thanks, I will see how the current system performs, once it is running smoothly, weather or not I need more power.

..... Thanks, I will see how the current system performs, once it is running smoothly, weather or not I need more power.
No offense, but do you understand how your system and each of the components is supposed to work? From some of your comments, it doesn't seem to me as though you do. This is pretty important so as to not draw down your batteries too much, how to set and monitor charge controller settings, what settings to input to the inverter and so on. It isn't as simple as, now you have a solar system and you can now power anything you want when you want.

I'm no expert, but the questions and comments that I read in the forums has few people doing their homework first and then using a solar system. One needs to do the homework of studying how it all works, how to do an energy audit, how to do the math required, plus how to work on all the components safely, so equipment nor human life is injured or worse.

Lots of info in the resources section and on YouTube. Good luck.

I have at least figured out what I have. 8 batteries in series 6v at 240a each, 11,520w, 6,300 usable, 3.6kw inverter, 80a charge controller and 2520w of solar with an integrated 20k generac generator, on propane. There is also a 240v transformer with the well, 2 ton air conditioner and water heater on it. Generator comes on when they are used. The system was professionally installed in 2008 and was used very little. Looks like I will keep the system, change the batteries for lithium, will double available power and go with small mini splits or inverter window ac. I would like to put in a large water holding tank, fill once a month and maybe get a tankless propane water heater. What do you think?

Back