diy solar

diy solar

Upgradeable 12v design?

87seph

I'm outfitting our family adventure van, and currently have a Jackery 240 to power our onboard fridge. It'll keep the fridge cold for approximately 8 hours.

In the next year or so I want to install a 12v A/C system, but for now I just need a power station capable of powering the fridge for 2 days, plus our family electronics (tablets, phones, cameras). For the A/C system I'll ultimately need 400-600Ah (as recommended by the manufacturer).

Can I build a robust system say with one LifePo4 battery (like a Battleborn 100Ah), and then add the remaining batteries in parallel when I install the A/C system? What components might I look for to make the system scalable?

I plan to assemble it in a carrying case for now (toolbox, etc), and then when I update the system I'll affix the batteries under the van.

Thank you,
Mike

Yes, you can add them in parallel later on.

Keep in mind that LifePo4 batteries can't be charged in freezing temperatures. Mounting them under the van will be challenging at times, even if you use heating pads.

I would not get 4 to 6 100 A batteries, rather 2 x 280 A.

If you are somewhat technically inclined, build your own. Try to get true grade A cells from a US based source, and 2 x 150 A Overkill style BMS, they offer low tempo cut-off. Check eBay. Balance the cells, build a frame for compression with rods and aluminum panels, and you are good to go.

Yes, you can add them in parallel later on.

Keep in mind that LifePo4 batteries can't be charged in freezing temperatures. Mounting them under the van will be challenging at times, even if you use heating pads.

I would not get 4 to 6 100 A batteries, rather 2 x 280 A.

If you are somewhat technically inclined, build your own. Try to get true grade A cells from a US based source, and 2 x 150 A Overkill style BMS, they offer low tempo cut-off. Check eBay. Balance the cells, build a frame for compression with rods and aluminum panels, and you are good to go.
Didn't know about the freezing temperature piece, I appreciate that! I may dedicate some interior space in that case.

Back