diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading my camper battery

flared

I'm new here and very green with solar systems. I have a 2020 Avenger REI camper. The fridge in it is 12v only. The camp site we have it sitting at has no shore power. We run an inverter generator when we are there which is usually on the weekends and maybe one night during the week. I have a Renogy 200w solar suitcase with a 20amp voyager charge controller on there connected to the batteries which are 2 6v golf cart wired for 12v. I'm thinking about upgrading the battery since I know I can't use the full AH of the golf cart battery but since I'm not there all the time I know it's happened. So rather than replacing them I'm thinking about a different battery. I dont want to break the bank here. The inverter in the camper is a WF-855 PEC which I THINK would be ok charging a different battery but I wanted to check first with folks who know far more than I do. I just want to be able to run the fridge all the time when we aren't there. The generator handles things just fine when we are.
Thank you for the help

The inverter in the camper is a WF-855 PEC which I THINK would be ok charging a different battery but I wanted to check first with folks who know far more than I do. I just want to be able to run the fridge all the time when we aren't there.
You need to figure out how much power your fridge actually requires as a first step in building a solar system. If your refrigerator is 12V, why is the inverter in play?

To charge the batteries when running on the generator. I need to make sure it's able to. I did some digging today online and found out that my inverter in the power center is only able to do LA/AGM batteries so I know I need to change that out. The docs I found for the fridge it only says less than 15a draw

I'm new here and very green with solar systems. I have a 2020 Avenger REI camper. The fridge in it is 12v only. The camp site we have it sitting at has no shore power. We run an inverter generator when we are there which is usually on the weekends and maybe one night during the week. I have a Renogy 200w solar suitcase with a 20amp voyager charge controller on there connected to the batteries which are 2 6v golf cart wired for 12v. I'm thinking about upgrading the battery since I know I can't use the full AH of the golf cart battery but since I'm not there all the time I know it's happened. So rather than replacing them I'm thinking about a different battery. I dont want to break the bank here. The inverter in the camper is a WF-855 PEC which I THINK would be ok charging a different battery but I wanted to check first with folks who know far more than I do. I just want to be able to run the fridge all the time when we aren't there. The generator handles things just fine when we are.
Thank you for the help
Hi There, I know its been a few months - but I'm curious how you turned out in this situation. I have a '21 Avenger with the same fridge. On the maiden voyage out west it (fridge) ate through one full deep cycle battery in less than one night. I then tied two brand new and fully charged batteries together and with the fridge turned way down (higher temp) two batteries together barely made it to dawn. That's now why I am here trying to figure out how to design a solar system around this damn 12v only fridge. Thanks!

As the owner of a camper with a 12-volt refrigerator, I can tell you that my fridge consumes about 4.5 amps. For the eight hours that my solar panels are not able to generate any energy, that's 36 amp-hours. On top of that, the camper has parasitic energy consumption due to the propane detector, radio memory/clock and thermostat. All told, my camper can consume 40+ amp-hours between dusk and dawn.
If the propane furnace is used during the night, my camper can easily consume 60 amp-hours during the night.
BTW, the original poster referenced a WFCO inverter when he/she actually was referring to the onboard converter/charger.
If someone wants to use flooded lead-acid batteries for offgrid camping, I usually recommend four 6-volt golf cart batteries in 2S2P (I hope I got that right). A battery hydrometer is an important piece of equipment if you go with FLA batteries.
If someone wants to use lithium iron phosphate batteries for offgrid camping, I usually suggest two 100-ah lifepo4 batteries. A state-of-charge meter is a must-have with lifepo4 batteries. The camper's little four-light "battery charge indicator" is absolutely worthless if you have lifepo4 batteries.
Recharging either chemistry during daytime hours, either with solar or with a generator, is crucial if you want to spend several nights offgrid.
I equipped our camper with a total of 500ah of lithium iron phosphate batteries (one 300ah battery and two 100ah batteries), two 190-watt solar panels on the roof, a 60-amp MPPT charge controller and a 3000/9000-watt inverter-charger (not to be confused with the CONverter-charger). It's capable of charging at up to 85 amps. Used as an inverter, it allows the use of the air conditioning for modest periods of time. If we were to attend the Oshkosh air show, we could run the air at night for 6+ hours but I'd need to start recharging the batteries as soon as possible in the morning.
I may have gone a bit overboard on the battery capacity (actually, I'd like to buy another 300ah battery, giving us 800 amp-hours. It's only money, right?) but we can stay offgrid almost indefinitely. Ok, not indefinitely. But we'd exhaust our water and food supplies before we ran out of electricity.
Now, with all that being said, it's a real bummer that my health issues have prevented us from doing any offgrid camping this year. We were able to camp this year at the Straits State Park during the St. Ignace Car Show, but not without taking a handful of pain killers every day. Ok, not a handful. But I'm in trouble if I don't take them exactly on schedule.
Remember, your camper consumes energy 24 hours per day. So you need to be able to recharge your batteries PLUS continue to provide power to your camper's 12-volt devices during the day.
My 12-volt fridge's freezer compartment sure does a nice job of keeping ice cream nice and cold. M&MS are great if kept in the freezer too. Don't laugh til you've tried frozen M&Ms.

Last edited:
Back