diy solar

diy solar

UPS to safely power down a pellet stove

Lady

I am looking for a UPS that is also a small solar power station to safely shut down my pellet stove when the power goes out. Any suggestions?

I am looking for a UPS that is also a small solar power station to safely shut down my pellet stove when the power goes out. Any suggestions?
You want the UPS to shut down the stove?
Or do you want the UPS to buy you some time so you can shut down the stove?

Come computer UPS systems have a signal able to tell the computer that grid power is off. So are you looking to use a signal to start an automated shutdown?

Why shutdown the pellet stove? Get a UPS with sufficient batteries to keep the stove going and keep you warm. A UPS operates autonomous and is dummy-proof for a beginner. However you need a UPS that can:
1. Provide a pure sine output
2. Operate continuously
3. Accept external batteries

Look for a used APC “XL” model that can be bought cheaply on eBay. Learn from my mistakes here: Testing an APC 600W UPS by powering my fridge.

Mandatory first step: measure the power usage with a Kill-A-Watt to determine how much battery you need.

You want the UPS to shut down the stove?
Or do you want the UPS to buy you some time so you can shut down the stove?

Come computer UPS systems have a signal able to tell the computer that grid power is off. So are you looking to use a signal to start an automated shutdown?
I need something that when the power goes out, the pellet stove will switch over to a UPS to give it enough time to safely power down. I have tried UPS devices like the Tripplite that say it will work and they never work and I have to return them. So, I was thinking there has to be an affordable small solar generator that also has a UPS feature out there. My pellet stove has a peak wattage of 504 and contiual wattage of 200.

Why did the Tripplite UPS not work? The base APC 1000XL with internal batteries will run 200W for 80 minutes, and additional batteries will provide hours of stove operation.

One is cheap on eBay. Did you actually measure the wattage, or read what was printed in the specifications?

If you want to add solar then I would recommend an all-in-one unit. Watch the video:

Last edited:
I am not sure about the AC grid pass through options of "solar power stations". But you can use an inverter with "pass through" or "built in transfer switch" (the same thing)

One example. Another example. You would also need a battery and battery charger. The reply above shows an "all in one" system, which would work as well.

Why did the Tripplite UPS not work? The base APC 1000XL with internal batteries will run 200W for 80 minutes, and additional batteries will provide hours of stove operation.

One is cheap on eBay. Did you actually measure the wattage, or read what was printed in the specifications?

If you want to add solar then I would recommend an all-in-one unit. Watch the video:
I just read what was printed. The Tripplite didn't work. And I tried another one that didn't work as well. I don't have a device that measure the wattage which I guess I should invest in and start learning more,.

Tripplite didn't work. And I tried another one that didn't work
Please describe how it did not work.
If it’s load, or switchover, or fault-out different approaches may be needed to solve the issue.

The Tripplite didn't work. And I tried another one that didn't work as well.
And confirm the model number(s) of the UPS(s) that did not work. Some are garbage consumer duty, and some are hardcore industrial. the APC 1000XL is hardcore with an original list price approaching $1000.

Last edited:
It was last year and I returned it so I don't have the model number. One of the ones that I did get and I can't remember if it was Tripplite, would just beep non stop and trip. The pellet stove was too much for it I guess. Even though it was within the range that was listed for the model pellet stove I have.

Please describe how it did not work.
If it’s load, or switchover, or fault-out different approaches may be needed to solve the issue.
It was an overload because it would beep non stop and wouldn't power the pellet stove - it couldn't handle the pellet stove even though on paper it should have.

It was an overload because it would beep non stop and wouldn't power the pellet stove - it couldn't handle the pellet stove even though on paper it should have.
Not necessarily
That could have been inadequate battery power. Or too much fan startup.

Like $200 buys 100W and pwm kit and fla battery; $200 or less for a real true sine inverter, ~$125?? for a cheap auto transfer switch. I don’t know what those backups run but for short term that $400 would absolutely run that pellet stove.

Are you expecting the UPS to command the pellet stove to do a "safe shutdown"?
Please provide a product link to the pellet stove so we if/how it can be controlled.

Are you expecting the UPS to command the pellet stove to do a "safe shutdown"?
Please provide a product link to the pellet stove so we if/how it can be controlled.
When the power goes out the pellet stove needs to shut down. I am always home when the pellet stove it on. I just wanted a UPS device hooked up to the pellet stove so when the power goes out it will not turn off and then I can just shut it down. Otherwise, the power goes off and then I have to turn it back on to turn it off so it can power down correctly which messes up the settings and is bad for the circuit board. When you turn off a pellet stove it still runs to cool down everything for another 10-15 minutes.

When the power goes out the pellet stove needs to shut down. I am always home when the pellet stove it on. I just wanted a UPS device hooked up to the pellet stove so when the power goes out it will not turn off and then I can just shut it down. Otherwise, the power goes off and then I have to turn it back on to turn it off so it can power down correctly which messes up the settings and is bad for the circuit board. When you turn off a pellet stove it still runs to cool down everything for another 10-15 minutes.
See how much power the pellet mill draws with something like this https://www.amazon.ca/KINCREA-Electricity-Monitor-Voltage-Digital/dp/B07Q121ZQY

Sounds like you bought garbage UPS’s. I would grab the cheap on eBay 1000XL APC that will easily start your 504W peak stove. And give you 80+minutes of runtime before you have to manually shutdown. The 1000XL weighs a hefty 60+pounds with batteries, compare that against your garbage UPS weight.

Add a pair of inexpensive Harbor Freight batteries and you have 4+hours of runtime before you have to manually shutdown. Or splurge on a pair of bigger batteries for lots more runtime. The 1000XL is already configured to connect external batteries.

Attachments

• 18AH battery.jpg
    18AH battery.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 35AH battery.jpg
    35AH battery.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4
Back