diy solar

diy solar

Upside Down Battery

RonH

So...I just took delivery of two Roypow Powerurus 200AH batteries. Got them through the link on Will's page. Amazingly, they showed up in 6 days. I met the UPS guy at the curb after tracking him, so I know that, at least in the truck they were handled with care.

The various labels on each box were rightside up. The boxes were totally undamaged and the packing was excellent...fully encased in spongy foam. However, when I opened one box the battery was upside down. The blank box must've gotten turned over at the factory before the labels were affixed. The battery seemed fine, but I have to believe that it has spent its total life up to now inverted. I saw in Will's tear down, that these batteries (at least his sample) have quite a bit of rubber holding the cells in the case.

My question is: Is being upside down ok? Both in terms of inverting the cells but also, would the cells squash the BMS board and other stuff, or is this unlikely? I have both batteries on initial charge now, and I'm not sure how the Roypow Fish app works. I seem to remember that the batteries have to be at least charged once before they link to the app. The app itself gives absolutely no information on how to use it. I have two batteries, individually charging, but it would only allow me to enter one serial number (which I assume is the full number stamped into the battery case).

Anyone else have experience with these.
Ron

In shipping, that box was most likely flipped a hundred times before it got to you. It won't hurt it.

Charge it up and enjoy.
LOL...That's what I figured. I once had Fed-Ex literally kick a 450W generator out of the truck on to the curb in front of my house. I watched from inside. There it sat on the front lawn with the rightside up arrows pointed into the ground.

I’m likely ordering one of these. I’ve read that the Roypow Fish app has an error on the iOS version in that the amps is always a negative number. But the Epoch Li-ion app will also work with the Powerurus and shows the amps properly. Roypow makes both the Powerurus and Epoch.

Back