diy solar

diy solar

Urgent Help Needed! Roof Damages After Severe Storm

hawwardkins

Hey everyone,

I'm in desperate need of some advice and solutions regarding roof damages. We recently experienced a severe storm in our area, and it has caused significant damage to our roof. I'm hoping some of you experienced homeowners or professionals can offer guidance on how to tackle this issue.

Here's what happened: The storm brought strong winds and heavy rain, and we noticed leaks in multiple areas of our roof. Water stains have started to appear on our ceilings, and we're worried about further damage to our home's interior.

We contacted a roofing company for an inspection, but they have a long waitlist due to the high demand after the storm. In the meantime, we want to take immediate action to prevent additional water intrusion and minimize the damage.

How can I temporarily patch the damaged areas to prevent further leaks and water damage until the roofing company can come and make permanent repairs?

Are there any DIY techniques or materials I can use to stop the leaks temporarily? Any tips on safely accessing the roof and working on it?

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, or personal experiences you can share. We're feeling overwhelmed and just want to protect our home as best as we can until professional help arrives. Thank you in advance for your help!

Find the leaks , patch them

I use damp course membrane normally, strong flexible plastic usually used under concrete poor (not sure what's available in the USA) in fact there's a patch on my roof right now

IMG_20230531_102027.jpg

Any photos of the damage on your roof, out of interest?

Can you post pictures of the damage?

If you can accees the area below the roof check for ponded water

First off, be safe on the roof - esp if wet... it's very easy to slide/fall off. I've even almost been dragged off the roof by a strap connected to something falling off the roof. Wet roofs are the worst!

Make sure there is no water ponding anywhere, that is be sure the gutters are clean.

Use the watermarks on the inside you mention to try to trace back to the penetration points. if the wood has rotted around the penetration site it'll have to be replaced. If it's from a ponding area that's bad news and you need to do something asap. If its from a high-angle area that's less-bad news and depends on the roofers wait time.

If you've caught it early and the wood deck is solid everywhere, you might consider putting a silicone coat over it. It's sold at home depot, it's the only thing I have on my roof and has a 50-year life (or so they say). It cures via humidity and you can roll it on with a roller (watch yoube howto videos on it). It sticks to everything and is easy to DIY. Messy too! Prep is powerwashing and getting rid of anything loose. What I used is https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4...e-Elastomeric-Roof-Coating-HE587871/202091022, had it for a few years now and seems to be okay. Once coated, only silicone can ever be used again until the whole roof is scraped off. If you do this, never go onto the roof if wet, it's very slick.

Check all your panel penetrations, if any rafters are damaged they can be sistered for now until a professional looks into it.

Last edited:

Are there any DIY techniques or materials I can use to stop the leaks temporarily? Any tips on safely accessing the roof and working on it?

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, or personal experiences you can share. We're feeling overwhelmed and just want to protect our home as best as we can until professional help arrives. Thank you in advance for your help!
If you are not familiar with accessing and working on roofs safely there is rather limited options available to you. Contact roofing companies and tell them you need a temporary leak solution and many can schedule you more quickly than for a full blown repair job.

You’re going to try to get access right above your ceiling stains in the attic and remove any wet insulation and place it on a tarp to dry or haul out. Carefully remove any standing water with towel or wet vac. The ceiling is soft don’t push on it. Depending on humidity it can take weeks to dry out. Note where it was dripping from the roof and place a tote under it, on the ceiling joists. If the ceiling has sagged you can put some sheet of thick plywood underneath wedge it up with a 2x4 and force it flat if it’s wet and playable for a week or so. Get creative. It only has to look ugly till it’s dry and painted. Of course you need to tarp the roof till repairs are made.

And remember the actual leak could be much higher up the roof as the water will run down joists etc until it finds an edge to drip from. Do you have decent loft access and can get up in there when it's raining?
Yes definitely check with your home insurance company as they will action on it very quick, they hate mold even more than they hate a leak.

had it for a few years now and seems to be okay
The link appears to be the acrylic product I have used on a bunch of projects for customers and personally. It’s on my camper roof.

Fantastic stuff and I highly recommend it.

Apply two coats according to directions.

This is what I would do.

IMHO Tarps are cheap. The silver heavy duty ones cost a bit more but are far better and longer lasting than cheap blue ones. A 29' wide by 60' long 9 Mill silver tarp from Harbor Freight is $180. Cover the roof with a tarp and then put vertical pieces of strapping every other rafter from the ridge pole to the edge of the roof. Screw down through the strapping to the underlying rafters. If it is going to be up for a while, buy some "Zip system" or 3M flashing about 2" wider than the strapping (probably 6 to 8" wide) then cover over the strapping and run it down the sides onto the tarp. If its cool out use a heat gun or air dryer to get it to stick. Once its in the sun, it will seal for good. This type of fix will last several years.

The flashing tape is very expensive, I would skip it initially. A cheaper alternative that will last about a year is a roll of Grace Ice/water shield cut into strips. The key is to make sure that the water can always flow down unimpeded, it there are any spots like horizontal strapping, water will tend to run under the strapping and leak down through the screw holes.

Contact your homeowners insurance company. They may have contractors that can do a temporary fix until a permanent solution can be done.

This. Also there are companies that only do emergency tarping. Most insurance companies will pay for materials or services that prevent further damage.

I know it's too late now, but from my own personal experience from a couple of roof damaging hail storms, is to get on the phone ASAP to insurance and/or emergency tarping companies.

Good luck with your repairs. I know how much it sucks to have roof damage.

Edit: Did not realize this was an old thread that got resurrected.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm in desperate need of some advice and solutions regarding roof damages. We recently experienced a severe storm in our area, and it has caused significant damage to our roof. I'm hoping some of you experienced homeowners or professionals can offer guidance on how to tackle this issue.

Here's what happened: The storm brought strong winds and heavy rain, and we noticed leaks in multiple areas of our roof. Water stains have started to appear on our ceilings, and we're worried about further damage to our home's interior.

We contacted a roofing company for an inspection, but they have a long waitlist due to the high demand after the storm. In the meantime, we want to take immediate action to prevent additional water intrusion and minimize the damage.

How can I temporarily patch the damaged areas to prevent further leaks and water damage until the roofing company can come and make permanent repairs?

I have a question nobody asked on this thread yet...

Are there solar panels on this roof?

I wonder if the OP is still working on this...

Wow, and in Vancouver... roof solidity would be paramount there I suppose.

Back