diy solar

diy solar

Urgent help please

I have around 12 hours that I use power from the batteries, from around 8. My daylight hours here are long. But if I am right, and this is only what I have learned over the last few days so please correct me) 424ah x 48v should give me 20,345w divided by 2 for 50% discharge leaves 10,172w over 12 hours for 200w output that should be fine?

That indicates your batteries have very little capacity. So your initial analysis of the batteries being bad is a valid one.

Now why did they go bad? Perhaps the charge profile was wrong, perhaps you discharged them too deeply too often. (lead acid batteries should only be cycled down to 50% capacity) or perhaps you had a bad battery that dragged all the other batteries down with it (it takes just one rotten apple to destroy the whole barrel).

So at this point you need to budget to get replacement batteries. Avoid people trying to sell you all kinds of magic to fix things that are not a problem.
Okay so my next questions, if the batteries don't improve would be about what would be compatible. The guy I spoke to about a lithium batter told me that it would have limited capabilities with my current inverter. But I guess we can get to that in a couple of days.

The new settings are better matched to your battery specs. Maybe try them for a couple of days and see if the batteries recover any capacity. But the batteries may need to be replaced after being undercharged for so long. Also, what are the equalization settings? I don't know a lot about what settings they need or even if GEL batteries need equalization.
Not sure about equalisation. I read not to, that GEL batteries don't require it and then read somewhere else that it should be twice a year. No idea at all what settings I should use if I should do it. I mean, I guess I really don't have much to loose right now. Maybe I should try and figure that out.

The rating of the battery is not important .

Fully charged display on the inverter may be misleading.

Check the voltage at the battery compared to the voltage at the charger. Any significant volt drops will confuse the charge process.

The charge voltage of 58.4 needs to be reached at thebattery and held at that value for some time to fully charge the batteries. Under this charge voltage the individual batteries should show almost the same voltage at 7.3 volts, is this the case?

If the charger is dropping to float early, increase the float voltage. If the absorbtion duration, the period at 58.4, is too short, Increase the float voltage, perhaps as high as the charge voltage , for a day or two.

As a last resort consider applying an equalisation charge to the battery string, ( this is normally disabled for GEL).

The panels are showing slight shading from the undergrowth , this will reduce output considerably.

Last edited:
Since you are on "User" settings you should check to see if the equalization settings are on or off. For now I would make sure equalization is OFF until we get a better feel for the condition of the batteries.

I would run the new settings for a couple of days and see if MAYBE the batteries are not too damaged and you can still get some more use out of them.

Reactions: Emm
Okay so my next questions, if the batteries don't improve would be about what would be compatible. The guy I spoke to about a lithium batter told me that it would have limited capabilities with my current inverter. But I guess we can get to that in a couple of days.
If this is the correct manual for your unit ( https://www.masterbattery.es/manuales/Omega_UM-v3.pdf) it would seem you have a wide range of battery types that you can use.

1678375959914.png

The rating of the battery is not important .

Fully charged display on the inverter may be misleading.

The charge voltage of 58.4 needs to be reached and held at that value for some time to fully charge the batteries. Under this charge voltage the individual batteries should show almost the same voltage at 7.3 volts, is this the case?

If the charger is dropping to float early, increase the float voltage. If the absorbtion duration, the period at 58.4, is too short, Increase the float voltage, perhaps as high as the charge voltage , for a day or two.

As a last resort consider applying an equalisation charge to the battery string, ( this is normally disabled for GEL).

The panels are showing slight shading from the undergrowth , this will reduce output considerably.
I am not sure. I only just changed the settings. The previous setting had the max charge at 56v and float at 54v they were reading 6.2 at those settings. I will keep checking over the next few days

Since you are on "User" settings you should check to see if the equalization settings are on or off. For now I would make sure equalization is OFF until we get a better feel for the condition of the batteries.

I would run the new settings for a couple of days and see if MAYBE the batteries are not too damaged and you can still get some more use out of them.
Will check and make sure now

6. The batteries are measuring 6.2-6.4 (whilst connected) each in the day and at night they are all different. Ranging from 5.2 to 6.4. I already replaced one that had bad cells and it has made no difference.

Imbalanced, each battery should be charged individually so full and same SoC. Then can be used as a bank.
Although, even a balanced bank might diverge when fully discharged (5.2V)

As soon as the sun goes down they are dropping fast to 43v and by mid evening everything is shut down.

Not fully charged. Needs to charge to proper voltage, then hold there (absorption) for some hours.

If you fully charge the batteries offline with a suitable charger (something a battery vendor could do if you don't have a charger), either he could test capacity, or you could put in system, with PV shut off, and measure capacity with a test load. I connected an electric heater to my inverter and measured time to shutdown (by powering a mechanical timer.)

The new settings are better matched to your battery specs. Maybe try them for a couple of days and see if the batteries recover any capacity. But the batteries may need to be replaced after being undercharged for so long. Also, what are the equalization settings? I don't know a lot about what settings they need or even if GEL batteries need equalization.

Gel is relatively tolerant of discharge abuse. Might recover with full charge.
There is a maximum charge current the batteries want; avoid exceeding that.

I have around 12 hours that I use power from the batteries, from around 8. My daylight hours here are long. But if I am right, and this is only what I have learned over the last few days so please correct me) 424ah x 48v should give me 20,345w divided by 2 for 50% discharge leaves 10,172w over 12 hours for 200w output that should be fine?

Same size bank as my SunXtender AGM; 405 Ah 48V

10172Wh / 12h = 848W

Even at the previous setting of 56 volts, ( too low a charge voltage according to battery data) the battery under charge should have reached 7.0 volts for each of the 8 batteries.
56 volts at thecharger and only 6.3 x 8, 50.4 at the battery, suggests unwanted volt drops.
Ideally the batteries should be stored in a cool location, the arrangement in the picture looks very 'casual'.

It seems you are getting poor advice from your local experts, and as you do not have grid power, I assume, an 'all in one' may not be the optimum solution. However, it is what it is, and the Master Power Omega can be set up for any battery type, so no need to consider alternative chargers or inverters at this stage.

If possible a series of voltage measurements, each battery voltage, pack volts at the terminals and charger volt, whilst under charge and load conditions, may assist resolving the issue.

Imbalanced, each battery should be charged individually so full and same SoC. Then can be used as a bank.
Although, even a balanced bank might diverge when fully discharged (5.2V)

Not fully charged. Needs to charge to proper voltage, then hold there (absorption) for some hours.

If you fully charge the batteries offline with a suitable charger (something a battery vendor could do if you don't have a charger), either he could test capacity, or you could put in system, with PV shut off, and measure capacity with a test load. I connected an electric heater to my inverter and measured time to shutdown (by powering a mechanical timer.)

Gel is relatively tolerant of discharge abuse. Might recover with full charge.
There is a maximum charge current the batteries want; avoid exceeding that.

Same size bank as my SunXtender AGM; 405 Ah 48V

10172Wh / 12h = 848W
Can't charge off the system. No grid connection so if I disconnect I have no way to charge offline... Hopefully the new setting might help them recover.

Even at the previous setting of 56 volts, ( too low a charge voltage according to battery data) the battery under charge should have reached 7.0 volts for each of the 8 batteries.
56 volts at thecharger and only 6.3 x 8, 50.4 at the battery, suggests unwanted volt drops.
Ideally the batteries should be stored in a cool location, the arrangement in the picture looks very 'casual'.

It seems you are getting poor advice from your local experts, and as you do not have grid power, I assume, an 'all in one' may not be the optimum solution. However, it is what it is, and the Master Power Omega can be set up for any battery type, so no need to consider alternative chargers or inverters at this stage.

If possible a series of voltage measurements, each battery voltage, pack volts at the terminals and charger volt, whilst under charge and load conditions, may assist resolving the issue.
Haha. Yes it probably does look casual. They are set up in a cave. Definitely the coolest place here especially in the summer. The temp stays pretty constant. Okay, I will try and get some more measurements. Probably tomorrow because it's a little overcast now.

Can't charge off the system. No grid connection so if I disconnect I have no way to charge offline... Hopefully the new setting might help them recover.
With system up and batteries charged but unbalanced, you might be able to top off lowest batteries with AC powered 6V charger in-situ.
I've tried, but its a bit problematic because my inverter sees pack voltage rise above setpoint and lets it drift back to correct. You would then have to disconnect charger, see if the low battery settles to same as others.

Manually connecting a DC source like one PV panel to a battery would also charge it. But you'd have to watch voltage. There are plenty of 12V charge controllers. Not so many 6V, except for gadgets like path lights. Mostly PWM or linear, not MPPT switcher, so can't handle a high voltage panel. If you disconnected one panel and opened its junction box, it may have taps which are each 1/3 of panel voltage, better for such use. Or buy a separate panel for individual charging.

PWM, 6V, 3A

With system up and batteries charged but unbalanced, you might be able to top off lowest batteries with AC powered 6V charger in-situ.
I've tried, but its a bit problematic because my inverter sees pack voltage rise above setpoint and lets it drift back to correct. You would then have to disconnect charger, see if the low battery settles to same as others.

Manually connecting a DC source like one PV panel to a battery would also charge it. But you'd have to watch voltage. There are plenty of 12V charge controllers. Not so many 6V, except for gadgets like path lights. Mostly PWM or linear, not MPPT switcher, so can't handle a high voltage panel. If you disconnected one panel and opened its junction box, it may have taps which are each 1/3 of panel voltage, better for such use. Or buy a separate panel for individual charging.

PWM, 6V, 3A

Okay, that all sounds a bit complicated but will re read it and see what I can do.

424ah x 48v should give me 20,345w divided by 2 for 50% discharge leaves 10,172w over 12 hours for 200w output that should be fine?
20,345Wh
10,172Wh / 200W = 50.86h

If you use the correct units, the math makes more sense and communication errors avoided. But it sounds like your understanding is correct.
So I have 14 solar panels 250w ( only 12 of which are in use wired in series)
So 12 in series is 36.99Voc = 443.88Voc
MPPT (optimized) range is 120V to 450V

What are the other 2 panels doing? If 14 in series, you could be over max input voltage (bad).

On to charging, i think you will benefit by lowering your charging amps down below 60A.

250W solar x 12? panels = 3000W

10,172Wh / 3000W solar = 3.39h
if you spread this out over 5 hours:
10,172Wh / 5h = 2034W charging
2034W / 58V charging = 35A charging

I would lower your max charge current to 35A to put a slower, deeper charge on your batteries.

20,345Wh
10,172Wh / 200W = 50.86h

If you use the correct units, the math makes more sense and communication errors avoided. But it sounds like your understanding is correct.

So 12 in series is 36.99Voc = 443.88Voc
MPPT (optimized) range is 120V to 450V

What are the other 2 panels doing? If 14 in series, you could be over max input voltage (bad).

On to charging, i think you will benefit by lowering your charging amps down below 60A.

250W solar x 12? panels = 3000W

10,172Wh / 3000W solar = 3.39h
if you spread this out over 5 hours:
10,172Wh / 5h = 2034W charging
2034W / 58V charging = 35A charging

I would lower your max charge current to 35A to put a slower, deeper charge on your batteries.
Sorry for the incorrect units. I rushed the post to make sure I didn't miss replying.

No I only have 12 in series. The other two are doing nothing.

Okay. That's something I couldn't figure out but will change it now. I haven't seen the charging current go above 30A so far I don't think (struggling to remember all of the numbers I have recently learnt)

I don't have much to add, but I will reiterate what others have said about your panels, with a bit more info. Will Prowse did a video about this, I think, and I frequently watch my systems stats while pulling weeds. My panels also sit on the ground, and can collect pine needles, as well as weed shade. When one tiny part of a panel gets shaded, just a bit, the whole row of cells on that panel is affected, and can decrease panel output by a huge percentage, ten or twenty percent, sometimes. When panels are connected together, all the panels will operate at the stats of the lowest panel. If one panel is decreased by, say, ten percent, your whole array will decrease by ten percent. So, a single bit of shade on a single cell on a single panel can dramatically reduce efficiency. This is an affect that is far from intuitive. It doesn't make sense, initially, until or unless you have a fundamental understanding of all aspects of the functionality of a PV panel, but it is a fact. I'm running 1200 watts of PV into 14kwh of LiFePo4 cells, so I have Bluetooth monitoring of my entire system, and I can instantly see the effects of even a single leaf on my system. If convenient, raise your panels up a few cm on cinder blocks or boards, and keep those weeds trimmed. I hope you get your problem sorted out. As far as your overall issue, please check every battery cell individually, and record voltages. One bad cell, as others have said, can drag your entire system down. If one cell is loosing it's charge early, your voltage will drop to unusable levels very quickly. Check resistance across all battery connections. If humidity is high, you could have invisible corrosion affecting charge and discharge. I've never run 8 cells in series, though, so I can't really offer advice on that particular situation. Good luck.

Back