diy solar

diy solar

US Customary Electrical Units

Don B. Cilly

Energetic energy padawan
Well, it seems to me slightly out-of-place that in the US they would use something as simple and straightforward as international electrical measurement units.

As there seems to be no place for anything sensible like the metric system in the ex-colonies, I hereby propose the immediate adoption of Customary Electrical Units, designed to be confusing, complicated, and above all American, enough.

So,
- The Edison: defined as the amount of electrical energy to move a pebble up a 46.5% slope by ⅜ of an inch.
- The Franklin: defined as the amount of electrical energy to move ⅞ of an Edison in 3½ seconds..
- The Tesla: obtained by multiplying Edisons by Franklins, minus the average rainfall in north Borneo, divided by 6.

If these do not seem confusing, complicated, and above all American, enough, I'm sure they can be improved.

icon_smile_crazy.gif
-

up a 46.5% slope
46.5 Per Cent?? That's a pretty commie-metric-sounding measurement there buddy. Maybe convert that to a ColoradoDriveway Grade.

Don't forget the Jackson which is the amount of Teslas required to move a muscle car from here to Yonder. :LOL:

Also, make sure the representative symbols are logical, like the Edison being Q, the Franklin being Z and the Tesla should be represented by the @ symbol... because screw letters!

Last edited:
- The Edison: defined as the amount of electrical energy to move a pebble up a 46.5% slope by ⅜ of an inch.
-

That's a rather small measurement. Here in the U.S. we usually are working with longer lengths, but I suppose the Europeans are getting by with their smaller lengths.

I routinely drive my 20,000 lbs (9071 kg) truck and RV trailer over 11,000' (3352 m) mountain passes. Some of the passes are an 11% grade, not to be confused with an 11% angle of course.

Well, it seems to me slightly out-of-place that in the US they would use something as simple and straightforward as international electrical measurement units.

As there seems to be no place for anything sensible like the metric system in the ex-colonies, I hereby propose the immediate adoption of Customary Electrical Units, designed to be confusing, complicated, and above all American, enough.

So,
- The Franklin: defined as the amount of electrical energy to move ⅞ of an Edison in 3½ seconds..
- The Tesla: obtained by multiplying Edisons by Franklins, minus the average rainfall in north Borneo, divided by 6.

If these do not seem confusing, complicated, and above all American, enough, I'm sure they can be improved.

View attachment 96526
-
Don, you never fail to crack me up. Obliviously your humor is lost on some but my knoggin gets it most of the time.

So, to recrap recap:
Ed pushed the pebble, Frank pushed it fast and Tes performed the experiment in the rain, ⚡ maybe with lightning.
The goofie part is that a bunch of folks sat around a table, probably drinking wine, and decided they should write that crap down and sell it to a bunch of other folks that dint know any better.

The history books fail to mention, or at least mention any more, the (yes, I'm making this up) fact the settlers were run out of Europe because of just how nutty they were.

No matter how far apart we are mentally and physically, we're all related. How funny is that Unkle Don. ?

Thanks. It was just a little satirical jab at the primitive measurement units you insist in using over there.
One wonders why... it's not as if it has any advantages, has it.

But then, considering the Appenzell Canton in Switzerland only allowed women to vote in 1991... it's a big world ;·)

Little historical note: I remember when the UK changed their money from shillings and pence to decimal. Back in '71 - I was there.
Everyone expected people (especially old ones) to go crazy. They didn't. See, the new coins looked almost exactly like the old ones, just had a different marking. A 10p coin looked just like a two-shilling one, a 5p one like a shilling, and pennies were not worth anything already anyway.

The experiment went so well they decided to go metric on almost everything else. It was a little more complicated and took a bit longer, but not really.
-

It's usually just a few hours, but with DaCoof it's not like we can go ashore anyways. Sometimes I get a few hours in Guam but that's about it.

Actually we spend a LOT of time parked... waiting on parts for our fuel system... or boiler... or the shattered hatch cover... not because we WANT to though.

Parking a ship while waiting for a part seems costly. I understand when you have a flat tire, ya gotta change it.

What about when you just need Eggs, is delivery an option? DRONE CARGO.PNG

We actually do use metric for everything here in the US. You don't know what a nuisance it is to have to convert everything to those old units so we can post it on the internet!

Except for our money. It is metric and always has been (unlike UK money). Just how much *is* a Shilling again?

Back