diy solar

diy solar

usb-c Power Delivery Panel Mounting [laptops]: Why is there not much postings?

Windnsalsa

Preparing for my 1st build, I am interested in mounting a socket offering USB-C PD 60w to charge a laptop. Is this not easily implemented? I don't see much discussions on the net. I've seen few mentioning of the 18w socket [good for phones and tablets] such as below, but haven't read anyone implementing such here. I see no gang panel with it. What am I missing???

I've wondered about that too. With USB devices (phones, lights, fans etc) becoming more common I've been thinking of wiring a cabin for 5v USB in addition to 12V.
Mebbe using some kind of combination sockets like this:
So, mebbe running the actual wiring for 12v DC and then using the little step-down adapters at each outlet.

Edit:
If you could do it all in 5v USB-C that woud be OK too if you could get 60W outlets wired throughout the cabin.

Would love something in the >60W USB-C that is direct 12V or 24V input - save the wall warts!

Would love something in the >60W USB-C that is direct 12V or 24V input - save the wall warts!
this device claims to support 5-20VDC input and can negotiate USB-C PD to the device pulling power from it

so it should be able to do 19VDC 5A @ 95W. probably should put a heatsink on it if that's expected for long time

this laptop happens to use 19VDC input from the original 100W power brick over USB-C

This looks interesting:

They also have a panel mount:

This looks interesting:

They also have a panel mount:

regarding the 60w product, I am wondering if this is THE solution. I remember coming across this item before. I was expecting a socket type so I can mount to a switch panel. Will have to look into this further. Not the cheapest though.

the other item, socket panel mount doesn't indicate any wattage. Probably 18w usb-c & 36w or so shared.

i'm trying to not have 110V ac if possible because the loss is too much for my system... i'll have a small 200 or 400w inverter but that's about it... I'm trying to use USB-C PD and 12V DC if possible which I can survive with in my RV but if I absolutly can't use 12v or USB/USB-C PD that will have to do... i'm using 12v to USB-C PD adapters where possible but those convert 12v to 20v for USB-C PD

this device claims to support 5-20VDC input and can negotiate USB-C PD to the device pulling power from it

so it should be able to do 19VDC 5A @ 95W. probably should put a heatsink on it if that's expected for long time

this laptop happens to use 19VDC input from the original 100W power brick over USB-C
That is just the outlet port, it requires a voltage distribution board to output wattage.

regarding the 60w product, I am wondering if this is THE solution. I remember coming across this item before. I was expecting a socket type so I can mount to a switch panel. Will have to look into this further. Not the cheapest though.

the other item, socket panel mount doesn't indicate any wattage. Probably 18w usb-c & 36w or so shared.
The second item is just an extension cable for the above adapter... it doesn’t generate anything.

Jackpot...

Read the fine print:

Input must be 1V higher than the output

So this sort of sucks as it implies that when powered by 12V it will not support the higher power modes.

In 12 volt mode they do not charge quickly, just normal. My Quick charge devices need 24 volts to operate in quick charge mode. Now that I look at some of the 60 watt charging devices and I see that they look like small laptop charger, but these “Cigarette lighter” chargers are so much smaller, I wonder how they would do with a 24 volt leg and how quick charge they really are.

Quick charge needs the device to talk to the charger, and the device says something like, “I am capable of quick charge, can you do it?” At that point the charger may say, “No I can’t we need to stay at these volts,” or the the device says, ”OK, I will charge quickly but at what level? DO you want the full 3 amps at 2 volts?” THat protocol needed to get established to keep from going to new cables and chargers for each level of charging and make this upgrade backwards compatible.

I have a few of two of these chargers in my trailer on a 12 volt line that I may convert to 24 volt someday. I installing two more tomorrow.

I too have been on the hunt for a device like this. The new Bluetti EB70 comes with two 100watt ports.
I really wish a company like Blue Sea would make a something like this. There must be some physical space restraints in a 12v outlet form factor.

I think it is an amperage wiring issue.
Think about it...
100W is nearly 10A at 12V.
I too have been on the hunt for a device like this. The new Bluetti EB70 comes with two 100watt ports.
I really wish a company like Blue Sea would make a something like this. There must be some physical space restraints in a 12v outlet form factor.
It would only be a little over 4A at 24V.
Amps means heat.

Registered just to say that the "Coolgear" DC USB PD chargers do have a buck/boost converter, and will deliver 20V also when connected to a 12V system. Been looking for such a beast for my boat and the Coolgear chargers are the only ones I've been able to find that do this:

Also available as a bare circuit board if (like me) you don't like the way the enclosure mounts:

Sadly both are out of stock, but at least available to back-order.

Back