diy solar

diy solar

usb-c Power Delivery Panel Mounting [laptops]: Why is there not much postings?

Registered just to say that the "Coolgear" DC USB PD chargers do have a buck/boost converter, and will deliver 20V also when connected to a 12V system. Been looking for such a beast for my boat and the Coolgear chargers are the only ones I've been able to find that do this:

Also available as a bare circuit board if (like me) you don't like the way the enclosure mounts:

Sadly both are out of stock, but at least available to back-order.
Thank you @Lomax!

USB-C PD 20V is where it’s at!!

Thanks for mentioning specifically about the buck/boost converter.

Supports USB-PD 3.0 including Programmable Power Supply​

Programmable Power Supply (PPS) capability allows for small incremental changes in voltage and current. PPS capability allows for constant current charging (with gradual voltage increase), followed by constant voltage charging (with gradual current reduction).

The USB-PD 60W PCBA supports 5~20V PD profiles on the Type-C Port with 60 Watt maximum output. It connects to a standard 12V automotive power input or industrial 24V power input via 2-Pin Phoenix Connector. Compatible with ALL USB power delivery devices.
wow!

Registered just to say that the "Coolgear" DC USB PD chargers do have a buck/boost converter, and will deliver 20V also when connected to a 12V system. Been looking for such a beast for my boat and the Coolgear chargers are the only ones I've been able to find that do this:

Also available as a bare circuit board if (like me) you don't like the way the enclosure mounts:

Sadly both are out of stock, but at least available to back-order.

yea, I wired the Coolgear with enclosure to a fuse block connected to my 12v leisure battery system and has been working well for my minimal needs. But, I heard [probably my mistake] that the 20v would require a 24v and not 12v system [I don't know]. Be sure to get the PPS version, as the previous version [non-pps] might be floating somewhere online

I've been using these in my RV (with a 24v system):

It was the only one in that form factor I could find with 60w output on the PD port. Others rated higher output levels, but it was a combination of both of their ports while this one outputs 20v@3a on the PD port.

I'm also looking at marrying this to various trigger modules to power non USB items:

You can get these modules in all of the various USB-C voltages to power pretty much anything within the voltage and current specs.

Great discussion here. I wonder which of these units draw power when not in use.

I like pairing a USB power device with the extension cable for panel mounting.

If you want to save $15, you could go with this $35 12V 65W brick instead of the cabinet mount version linked above. But I think the cabinet mount is probably better

I found this promising all-in-one panel mount option. But, it looks to be < 60W and has a disturbingly small amount of details on the product page. I trust products that include a lot of specs.

I found this promising all-in-one panel mount option. But, it looks to be < 60W and has a disturbingly small amount of details on the product page. I trust products that include a lot of specs.

I’m by no means an expert, but it lists 4.8 amps at 12 volts, which I assume is 2.4 amps to each device. I did not think that the USB-c protocol went above 1 amp on a 12 volts.

For USB-C charging, I have used a couple of options that I like.

The first option is to install a decent quality cigarette lighter style socket and use a dedicated car charger like this one. That particular charger has a 100W USB-C PD 3.0/QC 5.0 port, a 30W USB-C PD 3.0 port, and an 18W USB-A QC 3.0 port. I have used it and I like it. It has a buck/boost converter, so it'll run at full power off of 12V.

What I like about this option is that as USB PD continues to evolve, you can just get a different charger.

The second option is an 83W total panel mount USB-C and USB-A unit. It has a 65W USB-C PD3.0 port and an 18W USB-A QC3.0 port. It has a buck/boost converter, so it'll run at full power off of 12V. I have used this one and like it as well. Its a bit deeper than usual panel mount chargers to accommodate the buck/boost.

Last edited:
That’s nice . 9-24 VDC input. Would be nice if it said28 VDC or the actual upper limit. That way those of us with 24 VDC who charge a few volts higher are confident this won’t trip the advertised over voltages protection.

Also what type of DC connector is that?
The descrip says: “
DC ConnectionScrew terminals, accepts up to 12AWG (3 mm²)
Operating Temperature Range-13 to 140 °F (-25 to 60°C)
Over Voltage ProtectionYes
Over Current ProtectionYes

The descrip says: “
DC ConnectionScrew terminals, accepts up to 12AWG (3 mm²)
Operating Temperature Range-13 to 140 °F (-25 to 60°C)
Over Voltage ProtectionYes
Over Current ProtectionYes
Thank you. A very easy connection then.

This is the one I've been using so far and have been happy with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQCBC2C/

I've seen it draw ~60 watts powering an M1 Macbook via the USB-c port. It does require >24v for that per the product description. Look pretty similar (other than being a few dollars cheaper) to this one that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Curious if anybody knows of a panel mount one like that which supports 100w PD (i.e. 5A @ 20v)...

If you find a panel mount that does 100W PD and will do that from 12V, please post here. I'd love that.

I suspect that will not exist, but I'd be really curious to see that also. That would imply a buck/boost regulator instead of simply a buck regulator - as with the 24v ones. It also requires the module to be quite efficient if it will run at 100w for very long - even at 95% efficiency the 5 watts of heat lost in the conversion could build up pretty easily.

I did not know USB charging protocol supports more than 2 amps at any voltage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#USB_Power_Delivery

I suspect that will not exist, but I'd be really curious to see that also. That would imply a buck/boost regulator instead of simply a buck regulator - as with the 24v ones. It also requires the module to be quite efficient if it will run at 100w for very long - even at 95% efficiency the 5 watts of heat lost in the conversion could build up pretty easily.
I think the challenge is doing 100W in a buck/boost panel mount form factor. It is already done in a cigarette lighter form, but that offers more space to work with, since the "bulb" can be of relatively large size.

I did not know USB charging protocol supports more than 2 amps at any voltage.

It depends these days who'se protocol you are following (standard or proprietary), and if the cable is wired properly to negotiate a "contract" between devices to deliver it.

(Ahem, why I like Anker "IQ" products to help figure out what different cables expect to see, rather than me doing it by hand in the old days.)

Tripp-Lite has a nifty intro, but there are many others.

So far the best socket type USB-C charging port in PD I have found supports 65W. You have to be careful in comparing these accessory sockets, even if they have PD. If they have multiple ports, look at the total wattage that is supported. There are a lot of combos that support USB-C in PD and USB-A in QC 3.0, but most of these will do so as PD=20w and QC=18w. The holy grail for me is something in the 100w range. So far this is the best one I have found supporting a 65w PD option and input voltages from 12v to 24v. I also like the lighted bezel, and the on/off button.

If someone comes across something like this with more than 65w, please post and let us know. Laptops and other devices grow more and more power hungry.

It depends these days who'se protocol you are following (standard or proprietary), and if the cable is wired properly to negotiate a "contract" between devices to deliver it.

(Ahem, why I like Anker "IQ" products to help figure out what different cables expect to see, rather than me doing it by hand in the old days.)

Tripp-Lite has a nifty intro, but there are many others.

Nice to be wrong. A bit of searching shows this supports the USB-c PD 3.0 that an android phone, like a Samsung Galaxy uses.

Wow, this thread is a goldmine! Nice to know I'm not the only one pursuing this. Here's what I can add to the pile:

I got the outlets linked above by @Symbioquine. I like that I can replace them with a plain CLA port in the same hole if they die. They are rated 36W on A and 60W on C -- but only if powered from a 24V source. My house battery is 24V so this is ok for me. They do glow blue while connected to power, so I'll be putting them on switches. I get 5.87mA @ 24V and 6.70mA @ 12V for the standby draw.

Bench testing bears out the specs. I powered the adapter from my bench PSU, set at 24.0V and 12.0V to test. Obviously the measurements are from the supply side of the adapter so the actual charge rates were less due to conversion efficiency.

Charging my GF's macbook from 50% battery with 24.0V input to the adapter drew around 2.4A. So that's ~57W, and Apple System Profile reports 65W. A while later when battery was up to 80% the draw was 1.6A (~38W) and System Profile still reported 65W after refreshing. The macbook got up to 100% in under an hour and the adapter was only barely warm.

Powering from 12V instead, the adapter drew 2.9A and System Profile reported 36W. But again, as the charge current tapered down to 1.5A the MacBook still reported 36W. So, I suspect that Apple's System Profile just tells you the negotiated charge rate not actual...The Amazon listing for the USB adapter says the charge rate reduces to 27W on both ports when powered from 12V -- I'm not sure what to make of that.

Now, MY laptop is another question. The Lenovo P17 ships with a 65W brick in the base configuration, 170W for the midlevel graphics card, and 230W with the largest graphics card option. Lenovo doesn't put a USB-C charge port on it, I assume because USB-PD is still too rare and confusing for broad consumer use. It uses their "slim tip" power plug. When my build is finished I plan to hack a slimtip plug onto a plain CLA with a voltage regulator in between and try running off my house battery. This will only work in my rig (24V CLA), but that's all I need. For now, I'm using an off-the-shelf 12V "travel adapter" rated to 90W. My machine won't charge or even boot with that plugged in, since it has a resistor to define the power rating -- but I can at least recharge the laptop while it's shut down, which is great for topping up overnight without idling the inverter.

BTW if you're on windows The utliity HWiNFO is awesome for looking at power usage (as well as pretty much anything else you could imagine).

If someone comes across something like this with more than 65w, please post and let us know. Laptops and other devices grow more and more power hungry.
I agree that 65W feels like the current ceiling but I'm thinking the rest of the world will -- gradually -- grasp what a great idea USB-C is and we'll figure out how to clarify all the different "flavors" of cable/protocol to a lay audience. Slim, compact "executive" type laptops often ship with 65W power supplies to start with and already have off-the-shelf solutions, I dunno how long it will take for the minority with workstations to get our answer.

Sill, I wouldn't characterize even workstation laptops as "power hungry" -- feels to me like getting a pretty good deal if I can run engineering-grade parametric modeling software wide open and only consume 230W. And when I'm NOT spinning the fans, the machine consumes far, far less -- as low as 20W while emailing. Maybe I'm just easily impressed : )

Back