diy solar

diy solar

USB ports at SCC load

bomberman434

Hi all,
I just installed a 20a Renogy MPPT charge controller charging 150ah (75 working ah) AGM batteries with 2ea 100w renogy panels in parallel. Everything seems to be working. My question is, could I attach a USB tower (something like this) by stripping and connecting the wires directly into the load portion of the SCC to charge my 12v devices?

Thanks

Yes, thank you for the correction snoobler. My understanding is that a USB type tower (like the link above) would take the input of 12v from the load terminals on the SCC and step down to charge devices (ie phone) at 5v? Would this work, and if so would there be any issues attaching the USB tower permanently to the load terminals?

You need to confirm that the USB tower can accept 12V input. It is not at all clear on that list, and it appears the power brick is not included.

IF that item is 12V powered, then there is no issue with attaching to load ports. It likely has an "idle" draw that consumes power even when not in use. That is a concern, but it's probably low.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Back