diy solar

diy solar

USB to RS485 help

Cuemaker

I have a 48v system with an Aims 40amp MPPT charge controller.
A DSD-Tech SH-U10L USB to RS485 converter, that seems to be working properly.
I downloaded the software from AIMS-Power, installed it & it doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas? I called Aims tech support but can't seem to every get a hold of anyone.
Thanks

On this topic, are all rs485 to usb cables compatible? I have a Victron Phoenix i would like to connect to a PC, can i use a generic cable?

No idea, I never heard of RS485 until I got into this project. Wish they would have used USB but for some reason they decided to go with RS485. I bought DSD Tech SH-U10L USB to RS485 converter; it had a wiring diagram & the Aims charge controller had a wiring diagram. I used an ethernet cable, one end plugged into the Aims & the other end I cut, stripped the wires I needed & wired into the DSD unit.

I will answer my own question.
Aims Power tech support says it's a software problem & they are working on the fix.
I realize this thread is about 2 years old. Please advise if you can share specs on your system that interfaces with the Aims MPPT using the RS485 port. I have the Aims 60amp MPPT and would like to monitor that data. Your computer, software, hardware required to interface with the Aims device.

Is it possible to monitor the Aims MPPT using a Victron Cerbo GX and the RS485 port (CAN bus)?

I realize this thread is about 2 years old. Please advise if you can share specs on your system that interfaces with the Aims MPPT using the RS485 port. I have the Aims 60amp MPPT and would like to monitor that data. Your computer, software, hardware required to interface with the Aims device.

Is it possible to monitor the Aims MPPT using a Victron Cerbo GX and the RS485 port (CAN bus)?
Talked to Aims tech support they said their software didn't work & I was the only person to ever ask about it.
The screen display tells everything their software does, so I just for got about it.

I've been experimenting with a couple of AIMS SCC80 80A MPPT solar chargers equipped with RS485 ports. The RJ45 8 pin layout is as follows: Pin 1 is A, Pin 2 is B, Pin 3 is +5VCC, and Pin 4 is Ground. You can find this information on page 20 of the AIMS charger manual. I've successfully networked my chargers on a single RS485 network, allowing me to remotely monitor them over the internet.

For connectivity, you have a couple of choices:
For local connections, a CERRXIAN 1FT RS485 to USB Cable works well and is priced around $12.
For internet-based, remote monitoring, a Waveshare 2-CH RS485 to RJ45 Serial Server is suitable, costing approximately $45.

Navigating the software can be a bit challenging due to the lack of official support and documentation from AIMS. However, I discovered that you can unlock additional settings by using the superuser password "123456" and user email "info@aimscorp.net". This will enable you to add chargers and customize IP or COM port configurations.

Should you manage to reach this stage and need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask for help.

Back