diy solar

diy solar

USB Type C Adapter problems

itsToggle

Hey Guys,

I don't know if this forum is the right place for this, but Id love to hear your thoughts.

Im currently trying to get the following setup to work:
20W 18V foldable Solar Panel from SISTech connected to a "MC4 to 65W USB Type C PD Adapter" from Solar Power Supply.

The measured open circuit voltage of the solar panel is about 24V. The USB C PD adapter takes anything from 5-40V as input voltage and converts it to whatever voltage the connected USB C device is requesting (5V, 9V, 12V, 15V, 20V). In theory, this is a pretty neat setup. In practise however, im running into quite a lot of issues.

The only device that I was able to charge is a USB C battery charger that can only request 5V from the adapter.

My phone, which can either request 5V/3A or 9V/2A, constantly indicates that its switching between "fast" and "slow" charging and over all doesnt seem to charge at all. I also have a USB C powerbank which should be chargable with 5V, 9V, 12, 15V or 20V but it doesnt even recognize that there is a charging attempt.

My current theory is that the solar panel cant deliver enough current at higher voltages, which causes the connected device to constantly cycle through the voltages its allowed to request (e.g. my phone will constantly switch between 5 and 9V, since there isnt enough current being delivered at 9V).

What can be done about this? Im a little short on cash atm so im not able to just buy a bigger solar panel. Is there a way to tell the USB C communication chip to only deliver 5V?

I had to open up the adapters enclosure since it wasnt working on arrival. The company send me a new one, which didnt work either. Ive been using one of them as spare parts for the other.. turns out there was a faulty diode in one of them. After replacement it works, but with the restrictions Ive described earlier. Ive included a picture of the PCB :)

Thanks!

PXL_20220603_172227081.MP.jpg

Back