diy solar

diy solar

Use 2 x 10 AWG instead 1x 10AWG

Merlin

Hi friends,

just wondering me if its possible to use 2 x 10 AWG wire Red and 2 x 10 AWG wire black connect to a 1-2 Y-Branch adapter each and go with 4 x Solar wires from the Solar Panels 100 ft on another 2 x Y Branch Cable 2-1 each to the Charger in the House to degrees my lost for example from 5% to 2.5% ??

Hope it is clear what I mean. go from the combiner box out with one red and one black cable to a branch adapter. go further with 2x red and 2x black and about another 2 x branch back to 1x red and 1x black and connect to the charger.

Thanks, happy for replays!

I think you’re asking to do something like this:

THis is a howto post by @HRTKD . He joined a 6 AWG wire to a 10 AWG wire with a butt splice. THose are cheap compared to a Y adapter. If you decide to put 2 AWG into the long portion of the splice with a single 10 AWG at each end, that should work.

I also used this method to make a 30’ 6 AWG cable with to 10 AWG MC4 plugs at each end.

to the Charger in the House to degrees my lost for example from 5% to 2.5% ??
So basically you want to run a pair each + and - of 10ga solar cable from panels/combiner box to your solar charge controller that is 100’ away to minimize voltage drop?

That will help - but to my way of thinking you won’t be as well off as either:
- running an 8ga solar cable 100’, or
- better, run your panels in series for a higher voltage that may utilize 10ga for 100’ with minimal loss.

How many panels and what VOC specs?
What voltage are you now after the combiner box?
What is the charge controller max volts and amp rating?

There may be a better way to skin your cat.

So basically you want to run a pair each + and - of 10ga solar cable from panels/combiner box to your solar charge controller that is 100’ away to minimize voltage drop?

That will help - but to my way of thinking you won’t be as well off as either:
- running an 8ga solar cable 100’, or
- better, run your panels in series for a higher voltage that may utilize 10ga for 100’ with minimal loss.

How many panels and what VOC specs?
What voltage are you now after the combiner box?
What is the charge controller max volts and amp rating?

There may be a better way to skin your cat.
Hi 12Volt,

I know about all that things really good. it is just a general question if that is possible without issues and save.
For myself i am fine, ask more for a friend. and Sorry was 200 ft not 100ft away. Sorry for that.....

I use always 8 AWG to run my stuff.
maybe it will worth more to put 2 x 8 AWG together to get a 16 mm2 wire instead a 12mm2 wit 2x 10 AWG.
Because you are right the difference between 2x 10 and 1x8 is just 2mm2 .

I am fine because I need to go just 80 ft with 4S - 3P, 196V, 34 Amp and have just a lost of 1.55%

Back