diy solar

diy solar

Use a fuse - and wear safety glasses... This could have been very bad.

If she did not have that fuse, this would have been a lot worse... Definitely worth the cost of the Class T fuse.

Action in 36:00.
A fuse in both cable ... can save your battery.

It seems like she knows what her does: wood box, cable management ...
... and then there is copper busbar on alu terminal :(
... and BMS on the side of the cells :(

Last edited:
Even with the fuse, shorting the pack from one terminal to another accidentally can be disasterous. It's very easy to loose concentration when doing a project like this.
I agree that some their should be sort of insulation over the terminals while working around the pack.

I did something similar while top balancing my 16 cells. A 2/0 cable slipped from my hands and arced between 8 cells worth (25.6v) and the lug happened to land on the post and it blew the post apart. I had to change my shorts afterwards and I took a break until the next day... I was able to machine the terminal flat and drill/tap/stud it myself. This battery is still good and being used in my Fathers motorhome in a 4S config.

20210411_203306.jpg

I watched her recent video where she was preparing the wires for her inverter/charger.
Throughout the whole video I was very concerned for that glass of Scotch.
Then she crimped her necklace with a 13 ton hydraulic crimper.
Didn't see that coming.

"Failure aint that bad and success is so bloody sweet" -- The Digital Mermaid

Also if I ever tripped a breaker on a dead short like that battery could produce I would be hesitant to ever trust that breaker again.
It just occured to me that you are kidding.

For that battery and that load it would need to be rated for 60 volts, 25000AIC and 200amps.
That's what I use on my system.. 25kWh of lithium ion battery with a 65 volt DC breaker @200 amps.

$26 on ebay.. brand new. (its the rectangular black thing that's about 6 inches long)
They're Heinemann GJ1 breakers.. good stuff.

Also bought two of them at 175 amps.. one as a spare, one for a friend's battery.

Attachments

• Post4.jpg
    Post4.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 170
Also if I ever tripped a breaker on a dead short like that battery could produce I would be hesitant to ever trust that breaker again.
It just occured to me that you are kidding.
Why? That's exactly what those breakers are designed to do.. and do it again.. and again.

No different than the breaker in your home's electrical panel.. The only difference is that they're bigger and designed to extinguish a DC arc.

Circuit breaker would be nice.. I currently have class-T fuse on my 48V but if for whatever reason have to de-energize the cable going to rest of the system I have to unbolt the cable. I think I'd use one of Midnite's 125VDC 250A breakers. They also have one with remote trip, couldn't that be used by a BMS to disconnect the battery instead of using a separate relay?

Why? That's exactly what those breakers are designed to do.. and do it again.. and again.

No different than the breaker in your home's electrical panel.. The only difference is that they're bigger and designed to extinguish a DC arc.
I was thinking thermal breakers.
I had no idea you could get decent magnetic breakers for anything like that price.

Circuit breaker would be nice.. I currently have class-T fuse on my 48V but if for whatever reason have to de-energize the cable going to rest of the system I have to unbolt the cable. I think I'd use one of Midnite's 125VDC 250A breakers. They also have one with remote trip, couldn't that be used by a BMS to disconnect the battery instead of using a separate relay?
I asked them and it basically needs "the birdhouse" to make it work.
You mean this one http://www.midnitesolar.com/product...=Breakers&productCat_ID=16&sortOrder=15&act=p ?

Back