diy solar

diy solar

Use dimmer switch to limit current to converter work?

Guda

Superstrut Strut

I have a 30amp converter that came out of a RV. I want to use that to charge a battery. I only want to charge at about 10a-15a. If I put a 2000w dimmer switch on the converter will it limit the current to the converter? The converter is about 3600w at full power. I need about 1/3 of that max.

A 120V AC dimmer switch would almost certainly have a problem operating on a 12V, 24,v or 48V DC circuit.

A 120V AC dimmer switch would almost certainly have a problem operating on a 12V, 24,v or 48V DC circuit.
Correct

A converter has both a DC & AC side. A converter converts AC power to DC power.

Installing a 120v dimmer on the DC side would be STUPID......

So how about a answer for my question? If you think I was asking the question that was answered......

120v Converters will normally have a nominal input voltage range of between 105-130v, if the supplied voltage is between these then the DC output will be at the 30a +/- 10%. Below this there should be a low voltage cutout to protect both the converter as well at the load.

Last edited:
I clearly don't understand your question:
I usually use the term converter for DC-DC converters. I call AC to DC devices either power supplies or chargers.

Before we go further.... please provide a links to the dimmer switch and the 'converter' you are referring to.

If you put it on the DC side it will smoke. On the AC side it will cut voltage output and will not charge. Why don't you want 30 amps?

Greg

If you increase the resistance in the charger output, the charger will see a higher voltage and begin tapering current on its own. In order to do this, you need to push the converter to see its absorption voltage. This relationship would change as current, voltage and temperature changes, and RV converters frequently only operate at absorption for a very short period of time.

The behavior of the converter also influences the outcome. Some only provide a fixed output voltage.

Your converter is likely only 360W. 30A * 12V = 360W.

Will a variable resistor of suitable rating work? Yes. Will it be a little tricky and finicky? Yes.

OK.... I did not understand the question because I had a different idea of what 'converter' meant.

Something like what @smoothJoey referenced would probably not play nicely with a dimmer.

The dimmer probably does some form of Pulse Width modulation to limit the power going through.
The converter probably has a switching power supply.

I am guessing the pulsed output of the dimmer would probably play havoc with the switching power supply.

In RV's they are called convertors because that is what the do. Convert ac to dc, with a battery in place they will charge to battery too.

Greg

In RV's they are called convertors because that is what the do. Convert ac to dc, with a battery in place they will charge to battery too.

Greg

So an inverter is a convertor. And so is a DC/DC converter. And so is a nuclear power plant (it's even multiple convertors actually ?). And so is you engine in your car. And...

What you describe is better known as a charger. Saying "convertor" without any other precisions will make most people think of a DC/DC converter.

Pretty much the entire RV world uses the word "converter" to reference the device that converts AC to DC to charge an on-board battery.

When I think DC-DC then it's a charger.

I can see the confusion because a 24v to 12v DC-DC charger is converting from one voltage to another, but is still called a charger.

Anyhow, I would never connect a residential wall dimmer switch in a converter circuit. Dimmer switches can be troublesome just for lights. I can't imagine what havoc it would wreak on a converter.

What you describe is better known as a charger. Saying "convertor" without any other precisions will make most people think of a DC/DC converter.
In defense of the OP..... The same word in one industry is often used differently in a different industry. From the link @smoothJoey posted, it looks like the RV industry uses the term converter for what I would call a charger. So.... in the RV industry saying converter is probably sufficient.

In agreement with BiduleOhm...... this forum discusses things from the RV industry, Boat industry Solar industry, electrical industry and battery industry.... and the word converter is used in many different ways in the different industries. Consequently, qualifying the word 'converter' is a good idea on this forum.

Consequently, qualifying the word 'converter' is a good idea on this forum.

Agreed. I try to use the complete phrase "AC-DC converter". I tend to expand things in longhand, rather than use a shorter option. It makes it easier for people to search the threads. For example, I rarely use "SCC" and instead go with "solar charge controller". Then again, I cringe at spelling and grammar errors. I hate it when my nuts get to lose. :)

One of the better, and more entertaining, books on grammar and punctuation is titled, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves".

You probably have to take antacid tablets after reading my posts!!! :)

I have a set of rose colored glasses just for your posts.
cool1.gif

Seriously, I haven't noticed yours posts causing problems with my blood pressure.

120v Converters will normally have a nominal input voltage range of between 105-130v, if the supplied voltage is between these then the DC output will be at the 30a +/- 10%. Below this there should be a low voltage cutout to protect both the converter as well at the load.
I thought a dimmer worked by lowing voltage also. Then I found this video

Makes me think its possible

Back