diy solar

diy solar

Use MPP inverter with victron charge controller

semiraue

Hi All,

I have a smaller DC off-grid setup utilize Victron 100/20 controller and 12v lead acid battery. I'm planning to update it with 48v pylontech and MPP inverter for 230V AC.

My question is, I would like to keep my trusty victron controller and only allow pylontech battery to charge from it. not from the MPP unit. even though MPP units got inbuilt MPPT and utility charger, I like keep those turned off.

Is it possible to keep the utility charger off and will these MPP units turn on without PV array attached ? and is it safe to combine these two products together ? MPP unit not yet purchased.

Yes you can use the MPP without PV connected. Granted, the MPPT built in is the main reason people buy them. If you dont need the MPPT, why not just buy a Inverter/Charger?

Thanks for the reply.

I was searching for device without MPPT but many Chinese inverter models comes as all in one box. I tried to get Meanwell unit but their lead time is very long. I would thankful if you can suggest me good inverter brand / model which only do the invert part. not the MPPT/Utility charger

Also, is it possible to turn off the utility charger on these MPP units ? because I'm worried both MPP and victron tries to charge the battery at the same time and any of these units get damaged. unless there's way of communication between these three devices. I know that MPP can talk to Pylontech but not sure it can talk to Victron.

Reason I'm going for MPP units is, I really cannot buy victron units from my country. There are only handful of options available and the prices are like 4x time higher than usual. (from Sri Lanka)

Also, I checked Growatt SPH3000-6000 units. but these required high PV VOC to even turn on. So I was thinking to go with these cheap MPP units.

your input really appreciated.

Giandel is a popular brand around these forums, they make good quality inverters with lower idle consumption than most.

You can use the MPP as an inverter only, just don't hook up anything the the PV input or the AC input and it will act as an inverter only.

To my understanding the Growatt models are similar to the MPP to where they do not require PV input to operate.

Charging a battery from two different sources is not a problem. The caveat is that the total charge amps from all charge sources must not exceed what the battery is rated for.

The voltage setting on the solar charge controller may need to be manually adjusted. It may pick up on the new 48 volt system, but if it doesn't you'll have to manually set it.

Thanks for this. in this case do I need to set the charge amps from both MPP and Victron combined to not exceeds the max battery charge current ?. If I do this any possibility do damage any of the units ?

if the utility charger also can use with this combination (Pylontech battery+MPP utility charger+victron MPPT charger) can I use the system as fully automated one ? like below

when no grid power
- victron charge the batteries
- mpp use the batteries and provide AC to house

when grid power available
- both MPP utility charger+Victron MPPT charger charge the battery
- MPP bypass the AC to the house

to do like this, any sort of communication needed between these three devices ?

If this was a 100% Victron solution, I believe you could limit the total amperage produced by all the devices. But since you have mixed vendors, it would be difficult to do.

You will need to know the maximum charge amps of the battery and then the maximum charge amps the devices can produce. My battery bank allows for more charge amps that my three charging devices can produce, so I don't have to worry about it.

Back