diy solar

diy solar

Use of panels used for solar pump with other panels

aslan

Hi everyone,

I am quite new here, I started using solar only a few weeks ago so, my situation is: currently I have 1000Wp of solar panels that I use to pump water (with a DC solar pump), and the pump is used less than 30 minutes a day so, I thought it is such a waste to have 1000Wp solar panels used during roughly 30 minutes. So I plan to buy other solar panels (ca. 1500 or 2000W) and start an on-grid system.
Do you think it is possible to put the existing panels in series with the new ones and use a switch or something to disconnect the solar panels when I am pumping water with my DC pump? Is there a simple way to do so? What may be the best practices. Thank you!

I'm not too sure what you're proposing.
When you say "on-grid system" do you mean selling power back to the grid, or at least getting credit for it?
If so, have you considered leaving your panels grid-tied all the time and just powering your pump from the grid for those short times that you need it. (Yes, you'd either need a new AC pump or AC/DC converter.)
This might prove simpler and more cost-effective than switching back-and-forth.

I'm not too sure what you're proposing.
When you say "on-grid system" do you mean selling power back to the grid, or at least getting credit for it?
If so, have you considered leaving your panels grid-tied all the time and just powering your pump from the grid for those short times that you need it. (Yes, you'd either need a new AC pump or AC/DC converter.)
This might prove more cost-effective than switching back-and-forth.
Thanks for your answer. Actually, I don't want to invest in another pump (if there is another way), this is why I am trying to find a way to keep my DC pump, add panels and buy on-grid inverter since the only system I have currently is the pumping system which I admit was not a very smart move, so I guess in this case an AC/DC converter might be the best alternative I have currently.

Back