diy solar

diy solar

Use of Progressive Dynamics converter with LiFePO4 batteries

RandyP

Solar Enthusiast
Dennis Wieske (Progressive Dynamics) discussed with Mike Sokol (RV Electric) use of Progressive Dynamics Converters to charge LiFePO4 batteries.
-This discussion reveals a change in the Progressive Dynamics PD91**ALV converter design currently in progress to change the converter from a one stage charger to a two stage charger (see youtube video starting at 37.3 minutes thru 39.2 minutes and on to 40.3 minutes for more info).
-Battle Born has stated that the PD converters made for use/charging with LiFePO4 batteries at 14.6 v (one stage) are acceptable for use with the B/B battery.
-I am glad to see the change to a two stage LiFePO4 PD**ALV converter. Apparently they will be available soon, if not already available. These 2-stage chargers will replace the one stage charger with no change in product part number. I never did like the single stage fixed 14.6 v converter for charging LFePO4 batteries because it holds the battery at 14.6 v as long as the converter is turned on (plugged in or 120v circuit breaker turned on).

Last edited:
I still think 14.6 is higher than necessary. Last I read the voltage would drop to 13.6 and still too high for my preference. This converter would seem best for charging on generator where power will be cut when the charge level you want is reached.

Would seem 14.0 to 14.2 would be plenty and then OFF until voltage drops to 13.0 to 13.1 would be better suited for an RV that might be plugged in for an extended period.

Too much reliance on the BattleBorn top maximum specs.

I still think 14.6 is higher than necessary. Last I read the voltage would drop to 13.6 and still too high for my preference. This converter would seem best for charging on generator where power will be cut when the charge level you want is reached.

Would seem 14.0 to 14.2 would be plenty and then OFF until voltage drops to 13.0 to 13.1 would be better suited for an RV that might be plugged in for an extended period.

Too much reliance on the BattleBorn top maximum specs.
I agree. I have always been at a loss as to why BB ever suggested the use of the PD 91XXALV converter on their batteries. I'm just glad to see that PD has decided to upgrade that product to a 2-stage charger (kinda' like CC then CV).

It is apparent that PD never made the change to their PD9160AL converter itemized in the video and thread above. How disappointing and depressing.

It's also amazing that their Installation and Operation Guide for PD9100 / 9200 Series Power Converter still has this info about 2 stage AL converters:
9100L/9100AL (2-Stage) – When charging the battery, the converter has a nominal voltage output of 14.6 VDC. When the converter senses an output current drop below a preset level, the converter will automatically switch to IDLE mode and the voltage output will drop to 13.6VDC

see page 3, left column, center of page (approx) ..............(2-stage)

Last edited:
I just cannot buy a PD9145ALV converter. Many sellers list their for sale product as PV9145ALV, but when you view the specs of the converter, it is not a 2-stage inverter (which, per PD, addition of the suffix 'V' to the part number specifies 2-stage). Has anyone bought a two stage 45 amp Progressive dynamics converter for their Lithium Battery charging needs ?

I just cannot buy a PD9145ALV converter. Many sellers list their for sale product as PV9145ALV, but when you view the specs of the converter, it is not a 2-stage inverter (which, per PD, addition of the suffix 'V' to the part number specifies 2-stage). Has anyone bought a two stage 45 amp Progressive dynamics converter for their Lithium Battery charging needs ?
Nope, voltages are too high.

I mean I physically can not buy one, whether I like the voltage or not.
They seem to be non-existent in the retail world.

I mean I physically can not buy one, whether I like the voltage or not.
They seem to be non-existent in the retail world.
Well hopefully P.D. has pulled them off the shelf and put them on hold until they can come up with better numbers for charging a LFP battery.

Back