diy solar

diy solar

Used Commercial Panels

Guy

I'm just a weekend RV'r with 2-12V lead acid in Northwest. Either looking at 1-170W panel or 2-100W. Don't like putting holes all over roof. Might just use long cord from panel so I can move it around to get max sun rays, so 1 larger panel would be better for ground use. If I get 2-100W would it be better to go 24V? I think I would use a 20amp MPPT for either just to get most out of the sun or for my small system, just use a PWM.

Last edited:
24v panels or 24v battery system? It isn't clear what you're asking. Post the specifications of your panels and the specifications of the MPPT you're considering and we'll tell you if it a good fit and how to configure the panels.

24v panels or 24v battery system? It isn't clear what you're asking. Post the specifications of your panels and the specifications of the MPPT you're considering and we'll tell you if it a good fit and how to configure the panels.
I have a 12V system. But have seen some youtube videos where they say to hook up 2 12V panels in series to make 24V, then get a SCC that can handle 24V and let it do the work to charge my 12V batteries. With using a MPPT type controller, it is suppose to use the extra voltage to give me more amps to recharge my 12V batteries. Is this correct? Also am I correct in figuring out how many output amps I get ( at peak efficiency ) by taking the watts, say 100, and dividing that by charging volts, say 14. ?

Don't worry about the "voltage" of the panels. As long as the total volts of all panels does not exceed the input rating of the MPPT solar charge controller, you'll be fine. It would help to know the specs of your panels. Provide a link to them or post a picture of the specs that are usually on the back of the panel. Specs on the MPPT too.

Yes, solar panel watts / battery volts is an approximation of the number of amps that you should get coming out of the solar charge controller.

Don't worry about the "voltage" of the panels. As long as the total volts of all panels does not exceed the input rating of the MPPT solar charge controller, you'll be fine. It would help to know the specs of your panels. Provide a link to them or post a picture of the specs that are usually on the back of the panel. Specs on the MPPT too.

Yes, solar panel watts / battery volts is an approximation of the number of amps that you should get coming out of the solar charge controller.
Probable get 2 Windy Nation 100W for 65.00ea and the get a EPEVER Tracer model AN mppt controller for 82.00 with all the extras. That will get me all that I need to charge my batteries with solar. Buy I would like to know how much amps I am using out of batteries. So I want to but in a battery monitor for that. I have looked at a Victron. The question I have with that does it not only read amps going out and how many I have left and also tell me how many amps going into the battery from either solar or from shore power. I see the shunt goes on the negative side of battery bank to measure, but how does it read how much goes back into battery bank? Still trying to learn.

Back