diy solar

diy solar

Used nickel iron

Wonder what that’s been used for? Crazy big and crazy prize, at least for me that’s thinking RV and cabin solar systems.

Given they are changing to lithium I'm guessing the reality of NiFe simply didn't suit the application, that application, again a guess, being solar.

$4000 gets you some decent condition BYD LFP batteries same capacity... but NiFe is home rebuildable...

NIFE are not for everyone, there are plenty of reasons why someone would want to give up on them. But If i was in the states, I would jump on them for that price!! The only concern I would have is their current voltage and that the voltage has never gone below 0.95v per cell. If the voltage currently is good then there may be a good chance they haven't gotten too low. What happens when the voltage droppes below 0.95v is the plates can delaminate as the metallurgy is different to what it was 80+ years ago.

Low voltage is the one thing that will potentially damage these cells, however you do bring the voltage under 0.95v to change out the electrolyte.

NIFE are not for everyone, there are plenty of reasons why someone would want to give up on them. But If i was in the states, I would jump on them for that price!! The only concern I would have is their current voltage and that the voltage has never gone below 0.95v per cell. If the voltage currently is good then there may be a good chance they haven't gotten too low. What happens when the voltage droppes below 0.95v is the plates can delaminate as the metallurgy is different to what it was 80+ years ago.

Low voltage is the one thing that will potentially damage these cells, however you do bring the voltage under 0.95v to change out the electrolyte.
@bbobkins
I'd like to exchange some ideas on NIFE batteries if you have time to do so mate? I bought a small 24V and just getting around to setting it up with the remainder of a grid support AC coupled system. My questions are around charging and discharging limits of the available Inverter Charger units on the market, want to use Victron Multi or Quattro, ie., the charging voltage and low voltage cutout limits are not suited to NIFE batteries. Any comments or solutions besides running 19 cells instead of 20?

I'd like to exchange some ideas on NIFE batteries

Yeah for sure, and I cover many of these topics in my own thread...

want to use Victron Multi or Quattro

Awesome, so I would be interested to know how you go. In my thread above I talk about a modification I would like to make to Victrons charging profile in order to help them work better with NIFE. Hopefully we can get in touch with Victron and create a specific charge profile.

Any comments or solutions besides running 19 cells instead of 20?

Yes, don't do it! Stick with 20 cells, with Victron you will have the range you need.

Right now I have my float set to 15.5V (12V system, double for 24V) and Absorption set to 16.5V, with that I can easily pump 180A into the system with the load running (~600w) at times. So I still have a little more leeway to pump more in but this is really getting towards the limit I feel. I have boosted the voltage because we are going into winter and my usage is way up. For the summer I had it at 15V which was probably too high, 14.5 may have been better (less off gassing).

But read through my thread first and let me know if you have any specific questions I forgot to cover.

Last edited:
Back