diy solar

diy solar

used Valence 40amp RT Series arrived at 5.23 volts...will it charge???

RisingSun

Following Will's videos I purchased 2 used Valence RT series 40 amp batteries. One chaged great, the 2nd has 5.23 volts. I bought a Nocco Genius 5, 10a charger.it switches between standby and charge w/o charging.
The charger has a repair feature, but the instructions suggest to only use if volts of battery is 2 or less. Can I save the battery or did I get a dud? I am very new to this and am slowly setting up my first system to learn more and gain experience. My initial setup will be off grid to setup low voltage landscape lighting.

I just bought my 3rd and fourth Valence batteries (I bought them in pairs to series connect for a 24 volt system) and one of my batteries is at 4.6volts. I tried to trickle (1 amp) charge it with no success. I too would like to know if I can "fix" it(

Unfortunately most of these valence batteries bought used are over 10 years old and even if they have good batteries inside the bms is most likely the culprit for why they are failing. At least this is from my observations ( I own 20 of them). Most likely if your batteries are reading low voltage, part or most of the cell groups are dead. Save your good batteries by removing the bms and get a new one for your needs wither it be 12v ~ 48v. But that takes a little knowledge how to remove and replace. 30 amp bms should be sufficient for the 12v rt series 40ah batteries and are fairly cheap. JBD is a decent brand. But honestly I would just get rid of the valence and get something new.

I purchased a new charger with a "repair" function. I was successful in bringing the battery to 13.46 volts.

Great! But can you charge to 14.6v? That's where the cells balance. If you do hit 14.6v let the battery sit for a day or two and see if it drops under 13.2.

Great! But can you charge to 14.6v? That's where the cells balance. If you do hit 14.6v let the battery sit for a day or two and see if it drops under 13.2.
no... The best I can hit with my charger is 13.49 on all four of my batteries. Does that mean they are not any good?

What's the voltage of your charger? 13.8 - 14v is fully charged. But with the RT series battery the cells balance at the top @ 14.6. do not go over 14.6v. let the charger keep going till it reaches 14.6v. it'll take a while depending on how many amps your charger is putting out.

If you got the battery to 13.49v and it stays above 13.3 then that's good.
the charger automatically shuts off. I haven't put a draw on any of them yet. but they have been sitting for a few days and the charge level hasn't changed. Thanks fir the help

I could put a 1 amp trickle charger (for lead acid batts) on them. Would that be ok? try to bring the volts up a bit.

I would look at the voltage output of your chargers. If they don't exceed 14.6v then leave it charging until the battery reaches 14.6v. it may take hours, depending on the amps going in. Just be patient.

Back