diy solar

diy solar

User Settings for EP Ever Tracer with Battle Born batteries

vdub

I have an EP Ever Tracer 6415AN MPPT solar panel controller. I searched everywhere for the proper settings for the user parameters for Battle Born batteries and came up empty handed. Finally, I sent the parameters to Battle Born and they came back with the settings below.

Battle Born is a terrific company to work with -- they are knowledgeable, very nice and quick to help. I spent a little extra to get Battle Borns, but I'm glad I did. Well worth the money. Maybe these settings will help someone else -- I suspect they are good for any Tracer with a 12v system. vw

Over Voltage Disconnect – 14.7V
Charging Limit Voltage -- 14.7V
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage -- 14.6V
Equalize Charging Voltage -- 14.6V
Boost Charging Voltage – 14.6V
Float Charging Voltage – 13.6V
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage 13.2V (this is the voltage that will trigger the boost mode to kick in. 13.2V is ~70%, raise this if you don’t want them to get that low before recharging, do not set below 12.5V [14%])
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage – 11V
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage -- 12.4V
Under Voltage Warning Voltage -- 12.3V
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage – 12.1V
Discharging Limit Voltage – 11.5V
Equalize Duration—low as possible or 0
Boost Duration – 180 minutes

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I did know EP Ever was a single word. I had been to that page twice, but I saw on another site where those settings had been referenced and it was reported they didn't work. It was suggested on that site that the parameters for low voltage reconnect and low voltage disconnect had been inadvertently swapped.

I'm 70 miles from my array, so I reached out to BB to get the final good solution. What they sent was different from what they have on the web site.

I went to my cabin today and started inserting parameters thinking it would take only a few minutes. I'm sure glad I have the MT-50 external controller as it makes things a lot quicker. The most frustrating thing is that if you make an error and get the dreaded "PARAM. ERROR" on the screen, its almost equivalent to the blue screen of death on windows. When you get the error, all your parameters are reset to default, so you have to start over. Extremely frustrating and something they should change.

After a lot of trial and error, I ended up with the parameters below. For the most part, I went up or down by 0.1V for every troublesome value until I hit a threshold the mppt was happy with. I'm going to send these off to BB and see if they are OK. I would never be so presumptive to suggest this is the only good solution.

tracer para.jpg

In the case of Over Voltage Disconnect and Charging Limit Voltage, I could not get the to go lower than 15.2/15.1 without an error. The same is true with the others you see in red.

Also note that Tracer has a list of rules for lithium bats in their manual. You really have to go through each rule methodically. Number II is just bizzare and I don't even understand it.

User rules for lithium battery.

Ⅰ. Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage > Over charging protection voltage

Ⅱ. Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage > Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage = Charging Limit Voltage ≥ Equalize Charging Voltage = Boost Charging Voltage ≥ Float Charging Voltage > Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage

Ⅲ. Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage > Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage ≥ Discharging Limit Voltage

Ⅳ. Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage>Under Voltage Warning Voltage ≥ Discharging Limit Voltage

Ⅴ. Boost Reconnect Charging voltage > Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage.

Ⅵ. Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage ≥ Over discharging protection voltage

When you get the error, all your parameters are reset to default, so you have to start over. Extremely frustrating and something they should change.

OK/save after each change to avoid losing changes. You will still be in the config menu and can continue on.

The logic given for constraints ("user rules") is general and not limited to lithium.

Back