diy solar

diy solar

Using a 12 V electronic appliances into a 24 Volt system?

junixjuny

Hello guys,

I am new here and just started to follow solar energy in youtube. Can I use or plugged in my 12 Volt appliances into a 24 Volt inverter? Also, what option should I use to charge it from the grid?

Respectfully,
Jun.

An inverter is for plugging in AC devices. You would never plug a DC device into an inverter. You might have an inverter that is powered by a 24V battery but the inverter is outputting 110V AC (or maybe 230V AC depending on where you live). If you have a 12V device it is most likely DC.

If you do have a 24V electrical system and you need to use 12V items such as LED lights or fans, etc. then you need a 24V->12V DC-DC converter.

Actually, LED lights and fans, you can just use them in pairs :·) It's what I do...
Other things, a PWM converter can be quite efficient - or just get 24V appliances.

You need a step down transformer.
Not to be obnoxious... well, OK, just to be slightly obnoxious:
That is not a transformer, it's a converter. A transformer works on AC.

Not only that, it's a buck converter. Which means it cuts the voltage to 12, and dissipates the rest.
Primitive, inefficient, and... hot ;·)
A PWM (pulse width modulation) converter (just as cheap nowadays) is a lot more efficient. It converts DC to AC, transforms that, and re-converts it. Sounds complicated and a waste - it isn't :·)

An inverter is for plugging in AC devices. You would never plug a DC device into an inverter. You might have an inverter that is powered by a 24V battery but the inverter is outputting 110V AC (or maybe 230V AC depending on where you live). If you have a 12V device it is most likely DC.

If you do have a 24V electrical system and you need to use 12V items such as LED lights or fans, etc. then you need a 24V->12V DC-DC converter.
With that being said, 12 Volts are for 12 volts only and 24 volts are for 24 volts only? No mix match, correct?

With that being said, 12 Volts are for 12 volts only and 24 volts are for 24 volts only? No mix match, correct?
That is correct. But with proper components you can support different voltages as needed.

Not to be obnoxious... well, OK, just to be slightly obnoxious:
That is not a transformer, it's a converter. A transformer works on AC.

Not only that, it's a buck converter. Which means it cuts the voltage to 12, and dissipates the rest.
Primitive, inefficient, and... hot ;·)
A PWM (pulse width modulation) converter (just as cheap nowadays) is a lot more efficient. It converts DC to AC, transforms that, and re-converts it. Sounds complicated and a waste - it isn't :·)
I don't believe that's how buck converters work; they utilize a PWM signal to control a switch, and they have much higher efficiencies than the linear type voltage regulator that I think you're thinking of. Buck converters are a switching power supply-- a lot of them have efficiency well over 90%. See the Victron Orion dc-dc converters for example

I don't believe that's how buck converters work;
Wikipedia does ;·)

Correct. But, you can mix & match - for some things.
As I said, lights and fans, I use them "in pairs". Meaning in series.
Take 12V LED bulbs. Two of them, you have four wires (two each). Connect two together, and the other two to 24V + and -. Doesn't matter which*.
Each will use 12V. Lights look good in pairs :·)

Fans, polarity (+ or -) matters - for flow direction. You just trial-and-error it.

*Modern LED bulbs are bi-directional - polarity is irrelevant.

I wouldn't suggest that as a general approach. Many things will let out the magic smoke if you hook them up backwards.

Yeah, well, I was talking about (12v) fans. It's just a matter of finding out which way they turn, and which way you want the air to go.

If you need a more gentle power supply, track down a Doe converter. :)

But yes, modern buck converters are more commonly just switching power supplies, but [GEEZER] back in MY Day![/GEEZER] they were hot and drained batteries like nothing flat.

Back