Using a gen 2 Toyota Prius as a generator

SVBot

Please forgive me as I am not using solar in my project (as the moment). I have a fun recreational off-road only project where I do not want to use a standard gas generator because of how stinky the exhaust fumes are but instead want to use the Toyota hybrid as the generator. It has a much cleaner exhaust!

I am contemplating installing an AIMS 10k watt 12v inverter onto the Prius, but from my understanding, the DC to DC converter found inside the inverter box of the Prius cannot charge a fully depleted 12 volt battery. So just swapping the 12v starter battery with a 12v 300Ah LFP battery and connecting the AIMS 10k watt inverter will not work. Instead I need to find a way to add a proper lithium charger to the LFP battery, like the Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, but connect directly to the high voltage 201.6v/200A hybrid battery leaving alone the 12v starter battery circuit. How would I do that?

I found these High Voltage DC-DC Chargers , but I do not think they are set up the properly manage the charge of an LFP battery. Does anyone have advice from experience on these or a better way to go about running the high watt AIMS inverter from a Prius? Also, the AIMS inverter is not a pure sin wave but a modified sin wave. Does that mean my efficiency will be dropping significantly? Should I choose a different pure sin wave inverter?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Hedges

I See Electromagnetic Fields!
I think one option is an SCC like a Midnight Classic 250V.

SVBot

I think one option is an SCC like a Midnight Classic 250V.
That looks like it should do the trick. Thank you! Connect directly to the hybrid battery and charge the LFP battery bank. If I have a 300Ah battery, charging at 63 amps would take about under 5 hours to charge a depleted battery but if I leave it on, the Midnight charger will keep the LFP battery topped while engine will cycle on and off to keep the hybrid battery charged up. Of will it just keep it at the minimum and only top off when the car is driven? D'oh!

Hedges

I See Electromagnetic Fields!
What is the peak charge voltage? Is it under 250V, or under the "Hyper Voc" limit for Midnight?

Be sure to use appropriate fuses. Typical class T is good for 20k AIC but only 125V. Others are rated to 600 VDC.
You may also want a circuit with precharge resistor, to avoid a surge when connecting SCC input caps to battery.

The battery probably has a minimum voltage it shouldn't be discharged below, and if like the lithium batteries many people use, BMS monitors individual cells and disconnects if any hits minimum cell voltage. I think some Prius use NiMH, others Lithium Ion? Caveat Implementer!

SVBot

AND of course when the next lithium hybrid battery upgrades are available, I will go for those as well!

Travis

I know everything, as far as I know...
That looks like it should do the trick. Thank you! Connect directly to the hybrid battery and charge the LFP battery bank. If I have a 300Ah battery, charging at 63 amps would take about under 5 hours to charge a depleted battery but if I leave it on, the Midnight charger will keep the LFP battery topped while engine will cycle on and off to keep the hybrid battery charged up. Of will it just keep it at the minimum and only top off when the car is driven? D'oh!
I pulled the high voltage straight off the prius battery through a midnite classic and into my off-grid house battery. The classic only works about half power and you have to use a custom wind curve mode. I've got a whole thread about it. https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/foru...idnight-classic-as-voltage-converter-possible

But I'd recommend the plug out power route. You can get the inverters they use straight from China. About $400 but then you have to buy the transformer separately. However shipping is a problem with the particular inverter that they are using. Transformers best found on Amazon. It'll take you a day or so research just trying to figure out what to order & another day to figure out where to get it. Or you could just buy the kit from plug out power.