diy solar

diy solar

Using a split transformer with a growatt

Bleedingblue

Solar Enthusiast
Been looking at buying 4- 5k hybrid inverters.

Want these units to work with North American current where its basically a H-N-H for the input and output.

Was referred to go with growatt. After talking to a salesman then a tech guy left me as confused as ever telling me that I need a split transformer on one of the units and leave other units at 240.
With the units they recommend me to get which was the 5000ES series

Their is a video on this.

I was very confused after watching this. On how a subpanel is gonna operatate with 2 legs of 120v going into it and in my situation another 3 legs of 240 all hooked up into the same panel.

Wouldn't each inverter need its own small transformer to get 120v on 2 legs? If somehow those units that don't need a transformer and can supply 120v to each leg then why use a transformer on that 1 in the first place?

One reason why I'm in the market now in getting 4 of these units is because I already have 5-5.5kw units that I have no way knowing how to use them because they are made for 240 volt current at 60 hertz with Ground- Hot- Neutral with the AC in and out.

After the Sorotec rep told me I needed to buy at min a 25kw transformer I bought an Eaton 37.5KW transformer.
Now the tech guy for the growwatt told me I can't use that transformer. That I needed to buy a splitter transformer not a step down.

On the phone he told me in these designs the neutral carries current just like a Hot wire does and will electrocute me if I have the neutral wire on the neutral bar instead of in the double pole breaker along with the Hot wire.

This all left me confused.

I need a 450v input from the PV array because that's what its all wired up for now.
I also have
4 banks of 280AH lithium in a 48 volt setup that I haven't used.

I can't use the 12k low frequency growatt because I would need 2 of them and they can't be stacked.

Back