diy solar

diy solar

Using battery bank with generator switch

ddw867

We have a Generac manual transfer switch installed in our house to use a gasoline generator for powering certain things like well pump, boiler heat, etc.
Assuming the wiring, inverter, batteries, etc. of an off-grid PV system is capable of powering those items that are now wired through the Generac switch, is it possible to use an adapter at the plug for the generator inlet and use the off-grid PV system THROUGH the Generac switch? i.e. plug the inverter AC outlet into the Generac transfer switch AC inlet?
To be clearer, not looking to power the whole house, just wondering if it's possible to use the off-grid PV, battery bank system to substitute if needed for the gas generator (like to run the heating system boiler overnight without noise for instance)
The generator is a 20 odd year old hand-me-down and don't want to spend more money on a new one vs spending it on renewable, silent emergency power
The transfer switch is NOT an automatic one, we have to flip a switch to change from grid to generator.
We just have the generator at this point and in the "collecting parts as I can afford them" phase of the off-grid PV emergency backup system
I'm certainly a beginner at this but just seems feasible that as long as the wiring, inverter, etc is rated for the loads expected there should be no difference between the battery bank and the generator as far as the end result is concerned, but whomever reads this might be like "what the ___ is this guy thinking"
Thank you!

just seems feasible that as long as the wiring, inverter, etc is rated for the loads expected there should be no difference between the battery bank and the generator as far as the end result
Yes, your understanding is correct.
You should do an energy audit to see how much power you need or are expecting. From there, its pretty easy to size a solar array, a battery bank to store power and a charge controller to convert solar to battery charge current.

Thank you!
The only thing i'm really not sure about is the well pump as far as wattage is concerned, I'm sure it's a very high surge rating but will seek out help from well digging pros around here.
For now, the system will be set up for just a short-term power outage scenario, heat, water, charging cell phones, etc like what we usually get with bad weather
Although with the recent hacking of the oil pipeline I'm thinking bigger is better

Thanks!, Seems like the most affordable thing to do right now is plan on using the generator to pump water only occasionally, which will also extend the life of it.
Looks like everything else can be done with about a 3000 watt inverter.

Gonna depend on your well pump, mine is about 18K watts startup and 4000 running
you need to figure out what pump you have and the specs on it they vary greatly in power consumption and output

Back