diy solar

diy solar

Using battery disconnect to disconnect SCC too?

jpcjtrtj

My trailer sits for weeks or months at a time. I assume the SCC has a tiny bit of a current draw when connected during this off time ... to kill this draw, I thought about attaching the negative battery wire to the battery cutoff. Thus, when I disconnect, the battery from the trailer, I also kill the connection to the SCC. Is this OK? The negative is still potentially connected to a live negative from the converter in the trailer which may or may not be plugged in.... would a separate switch be a better choice?

the SCC says it uses a self consuming 10 miliamps. I assume that is .24 ah per day or 7.2ah a month? From my 96 AH of batteries, this would be on the order of ten percent per month. Is that right?

thoughts?

Last edited:
In most PV designs, there is a circuit breaker between the solar charge controller and the battery (or the common bus bar). Flip the breaker and there is no drain from the solar charge controller. Power into the solar charge controller from the solar panels should be turned off first, then the power from the battery.

I have a similar question as jpcjtrtj’s about the function of a battery disconnect switch in my travel trailer’s electrical system and I’m not sure I understand HRTKD’s response. Here’s my specific situation:

I’ve always had a battery disconnect switch installed on the negative side of the electrical system that enables me to “kill” all the power from the battery to the trailer. This is to prevent the battery from being drained by “phantom appliances” when the rig is not in use. I just installed a Renogy 175 watt flex panel and a Renogy Rover MPPT 30 amp charge controller on the trailer. The trailer was delivered “solar ready” meaning the wiring was in place from the roof connector to a spot for the controller inside the trailer and the wiring from the controller to the battery bank. It was relatively easy to mount the panel and the controller and connect the roof connector wiring to the PV terminals on the controller and the battery wiring to the battery.

All is well. The battery was connected to the controller and the panel cables were plugged into the roof connector. The panel is delivering power to the controller and battery as expected.

Now for my questions(s)…. If I want to disconnect all power from the battery to the trailer, is it simply a matter of turning the battery disconnect switch off? If so, do I need to do anything to the solar side of the system? Disconnecting the solar panel would be a bit of a challenge since the connectors (MC4) are located on the trailer’s roof.

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mike

Back