diy solar

diy solar

Using battery protect for dump load

MGK

I am wondering if I can use a Victron battery protect to control a dump load. The idea is to have it placed before the charge controller and have the load output of the charge controller switch it on once the batteries are near or at full charge. The result would be the dump load would be using the power directly from the solar panels, not the batteries.

The Battery Protect is intended as a one-way flow of power. The solar charge controller needs power from the battery, so power has to flow both ways. Would it work? Maybe.

Rereading your post, I'm not sure what your plan is. Where do you intend to place the Battery Protect? My initial read led me to this:
PV --> SCC --> BP --> Battery

But on second reading of your post, since you said "before the charge controller" it sounds like this, which doesn't make any sense:
PV --> BP --> SCC --> Battery

Thanks for your reply. Yes, PV-BP-SCC-Battery is what I was thinking. The idea was to have the power from the PV array be redirected once the battery is full. I thought perhaps if the power coming in from the array was connected to a post on the BP and then from that post to the SCC, once the battery was full it could trigger the load out to come on which would trigger a relay to open up the battery protect allowing the flow of power to go to an opportunity load IMG_3780.JPG

I am wondering if I can use a Victron battery protect to control a dump load. The idea is to have it placed before the charge controller and have the load output of the charge controller switch it on once the batteries are near or at full charge. The result would be the dump load would be using the power directly from the solar panels, not the batteries.
maybe from the output of the controller, when it drops to zero, a relay cuts out that controller and turns on another controller which puts out dc to a water heater or other dump. then when the battery voltage drops below a set voltage it switches both controllers again to normal?

Back