diy solar

diy solar

Using Charge Controller Or Not With a LiFePo4 BMS Battery?

Wagzvilla

Hi All, this is my first post for my first solar system and the site looks great!

I have a 20 watt 12volt solar panel to charge a 12volt 6ah 76wh life04 battery, my load is a 12V inductive load water pump that draws 0.7A. The pump is water temp controlled on only during daylight hours. The Miady LiFePo4 battery has a BMS but should I hook both the solar charge wires and the pump load wires up to it or use this charge controller load wires (Huinetul 10Amp Solar LiFePo4)? The solar panel has an optimum operating current of 1.26 Amps vrs the pump draw of 0.7Amps so seems it could keep up with the pump discharge rate and keep the battery charged under full sun conditions?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think that’s what he’s asking. It sounds like the question is whether to run the pump load from the SCC “load out”or the BMS. Run the load through the BMS though for sure.

What the hell was I thinking?

Yep.

SCC load ports ARE the battery, just at a different spot. SCC load ports still provide battery current and voltage even when there is insufficient panel power. The load ports can typically be programed with their own low voltage disconnect, or to operate only during certain hours, etc.

If you want the added features of the SCC load port, or connecting there is more convenient, then use it - provided you don't exceed the current rating of the load port. Otherwise, connect loads to the battery.

Right, i had to read it a couple times to understand myself. I just deferred to the BMS for general electronics safety but, I know sometimes people only use the BMS for discharging only and let the CC do the overvoltage protection. Reading it a third time though it sounds like the BMS is built in so he wouldn’t be bypassing it either way he wires it. Appreciate the wealth of knowledge, you guys are great!

Back