diy solar

diy solar

Using cordless tool batteries for emergency power

Affable Pilgrim

I already own 3 Kobalt 80v batteries but they have no adapter like DeWalt 1800w Portable Power, Milwaukee MX FUEL Carry-On, and Ego Power Nexus Portable Power Station for emergency or remote power. Does anyone know how to hack these batteries and what it would take to hook them up to an inverter to run a 120V refrigerator? Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Sounds like an expensive way to run a fridge. I would look for cheap batteries. Perhaps something like these. Assemble your own pack.
Battery Hookup

NEW 24 Pack 3.2v 25ah Lifepo4 Topband Prismatic​

Regular price$360.00

Sounds like an expensive way to run a fridge. I would look for cheap batteries. Perhaps something like these. Assemble your own pack.
Battery Hookup

Regular price$360.00
Yes.

You should definitely buy more batteries on top of the batteries you already own then also still buy the inverter. That way, the batteries you already have can sit unused.

Lol your suggestion would cost even more.

Battery Hookup

Regular price$360.00
I already own the batteries for other equipment. and they stay charged generally. If I could hack them might be a good thing for me.

Unfortunately 300w definitely wouldn't run a typical kitchen fridge if it goes into defrost but it might cover a chest freezer if it doesn't have auto defrost on it.

Startup surge is a killer though.

Edit: necro thread.
I already own a number of batteries for other equipment. I'm looking for a hack that could stand the surge. I have 80 volt 2.5 aH batteries.

Reviews are terrible on that inverter too. Nevermind!

That's a shame, I have Kobalt 80v stuff myself and love it. Mower, string trimmer, blower, chainsaw. Not heavy duty, but great for my homeowner needs. I keep gas chainsaws, but the other stuff has completely replaced it's gas counterpart. Too bad the inverter is junk.

My fridge uses 0.6kw per day according to my Kill a Watt meter, so that's three 2.5ah 80v batteries just on its own, ignoring efficiency losses. To me, this meant it wasn't a viable solution, so I went a different way.

Get an adapter (I bought mine off of Amazon) and connect them to your charge controller if you have nothing else that can handle that voltage. i have 18v and 40V Ryobi battery packs. I also bought one of the voltage regulator things from Amazon that will take either of those levels and convert it into 13.6VDC. I have a bunch of 12V appliances from my RV (TV, electric blanket, fans, etc) and just run them off of the Ryobi packs. I also have a couple of portable solar generators (Honda/Jackery 208 and a GoLabs 300) that I can charge from these battery packs. I was originally charging the solar generators with them before I got the voltage regulator unit last February.

If you are still looking, I saw a guy make a power station on YouTube years ago. I have seen a website selling one for under $900 (no batteries) at minne.us (It may be the same guy/powerstation from the YouTube video) I haven't seen anything else for the kobalt/green works batteries but if someone has please lmk.

Back