diy solar

diy solar

Using dented Lishen cells

garethb

So my order came in with 3 dented cells. See images below. Supplier (Shenzhen Xuba) is claiming they are safe to use. Is this true?

They have stated it must have happened during shipping but this is extremely unlikely, each cells packaging was perfect, I would expect the foam to be marked but there were no signs of anything. I ordered battery boxes so the cells were wrapped in the battery box which was also week wrapped. So they shipped dented cells to me......

Any advice?
Anyone been through this or similar?

I had one damaged cell from BASEN, she is sending me the replacement. My capacity test on the damaged cell is slightly lower than the other 3, Gloria of BASEN told me not to use the damage cell due to safety.

I would not accept that kind of damages on the cell.

Are you saying that because its safe to use?
I'm don't know if anyone here can answer that question with a high level of confidence, at least not in terms of the long term effect of deformed possibly damaged cells.

If you do choose to use them, you would not be the first to do so, just bear in mind, the vast majority of us are relative newbies, even those with somewhat more experience than the average member are mostly still fairly inexperienced. So people can tell you what they did or did not do, but very few can tell you how it panned out for them a few thousand cycles in the future. To some degree the decision will come down to your patience vs risk tolerance.

Last edited:
I'm don't know if anyone here can answer that question with a high level of confidence, at least not in terms of the long term effect of deformed possibly damaged cells.

If you do choose to use them, you would not be the first to do so, just bear in mind, the vast majority of us are relative newbies, even those with somewhat more experience than the average member are mostly still fairly inexperienced. So people can tell you what they did or did not do, but very few can tell you how it panned out for them a few thousand cycles in the future. To some degree the decision will come down to your patience vs risk tolerance.
They won't stop shipping damaged cells unless people reject them.
Zorlig makes a very good point. If buyers don't call out the suppliers when they send damaged/defective products and just let it go, why would they be motivated to change anything.

I have taken a closer look at garethb's photos and there is no way I would accept any of the three. I am not even sure I would use them as spares. I am sure Xuba is continuing to advertise them as grade A cells. We know what that means...lol. But still I would much rather receive a cell with a bit lower than advertised capacity than receive a damaged cell.

The supplier claims the cells suffered shipping damage. The buyer claims the cells were damaged before shipped. Either way it's the suppliers responsibility to resolve it. And the only way to resolve it in this case is to replace the damaged cells in my ever so humble opinion.

Hello boys...and girls...if any....?
I received my cells to, they are all within 3.284-3.285V, BUT one that is 3.275V...the sticker is different then other cells, I take it out of the box....seems It has been hit during the shipment (protection and packaging is good (BASEN))
Sheila is asking her manager what to do.
I will ask for a refund of 1/17 (100$) of the total price (I got 17 cells).
Even if this cell is not perfect, it's not the end of the world cause it can act as a spare.

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_132020.jpg
    IMG_20210121_132020.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210121_133237.jpg
    IMG_20210121_133237.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210121_132308.jpg
    IMG_20210121_132308.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Please don’t accept those! Like others have said, if they think they can get away with deceptive marketing and sending out damaged products they’ll continue to do it. People need to make a stand and let them know we won’t accept this crap!

Hello boys...and girls...if any....?
I received my cells to, they are all within 3.284-3.285V, BUT one that is 3.275V...the sticker is different then other cells, I take it out of the box....seems It has been hit during the shipment (protection and packaging is good (BASEN))
Sheila is asking her manager what to do.
I will ask for a refund of 1/17 (100$) of the total price (I got 17 cells).
Even if this cell is not perfect, it's not the end of the world cause it can act as a spare.
That absolutely could be the “end of the world” you have no idea if or what kind of internal problems the impact that made the dents could have caused. If you don’t demand a replacement, one of us will likely be the next sucker to get sent damaged cells. No way I’d want that ticking time bomb under the same roof as my family.

That absolutely could be the “end of the world” you have no idea if or what kind of internal problems the impact that made the dents could have caused. If you don’t demand a replacement, one of us will likely be the next sucker to get sent damaged cells. No way I’d want that ticking time bomb under the same roof as my family.
I did not asked for a replacement but I asked for a 1/17 of the total price, shipping included (I ordered17 cells).
For the time being, BASEN refuse and proposed half price of a cell.
The offer roughly 40$ while I ask 100$.

That’s BS. If you have pictures of all the boxes and it shows no damage, I’d open a dispute. It’s not your fault and you shouldn’t have to be out another 60$. I get it’s not a lot of money but it’s the point.

That’s BS. If you have pictures of all the boxes and it shows no damage, I’d open a dispute. It’s not your fault and you shouldn’t have to be out another 60$. I get it’s not a lot of money but it’s the point.
Box is damaged, I said package is good but what I meant is that it's well made, despite this pretty good packaging the cell is damaged, something as penetrated with enough force through the box.
And what annoy me is that on those 17 cells, the sticker say 3.29V, 16 cells got one kind of QR code and o oh one got a different one.
I tested all 17 cells and they are all within 3.284-3.285v BUT one that is 3.275V...and this is the one with the different QR code and this is the one that has been hit..... Odds..I dunno.
But what I know is that this cell as seen a voltage decrease of 0.015V vs 0.005V for all others.. 0.015V is really low...but this is still 3x the others, this cell is different, and it's damaged....I can't really rely on it.
I got the feeling that they "match" their cells by 4,8,16... but if you ask for 17 they just give you a "matched" pack of 16....and an other that was lying around...which make me think this cells is ..let's say...grade C. (only a feeling).
Now if they refund me the cell, I will keep it in a corner and I will certainly never use it.
I ordered a capacity tester, I will report here when test would be done.

Attachments

• IMG_20210126_154314.jpg
    IMG_20210126_154314.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 17
The dispute is opened, but Sheila is still opened to talk to me, I just disagree to be refunded half a cell price. For me this cell is not really usable, it's already a problem that I do not have a proper spare.

This is the problem . The Chinese think they have us by the short hairs and candor what they want. With no recourse. Make them send a new cell. It's not your problem!

I hope your problem will be solved, I am still waiting for my replacement from BASEN..

Last edited:
Back