diy solar

diy solar

Using EG4 LiFePOWER 24 volt batteries for 37' fifth wheel (RV)?

kwambs

Hi,

This is first post to this forum.
I'm getting a fifth wheel soon, within 2 months.

I'm planning to upgrade the electric system in stages.
First, I want to replace the single 12 volt crap battery that comes with the unit, then later, change out the charger/converter and add solar (~2000 watts).
I want to go 24 volts.
I've been looking at DIY batteries, but the lead time/BMS, and cost vs the EG4 LiFePOWER 24 volt seems to push me over to the EG4.
I see that they are rack mounted. Are these batteries suitable for an RV that will be subject to road bumps/pot holes, etc?
I saw a few posts that say the 48V 100 AMP batteries are good, but not much on the 24 volt batteries.

I'm planning to get 3 * 24 volt 200 AMP EG4 batteries. I want to future proof my RV, so that I will not have compatibility issues.
I will also need to manual charge the batteries, via a 120 volt charger, as the current charger/invertor is 12 volts, and the inverter is only 1000 watts. This is needed until I change out the charger/invertor.
I also have to check to see if the the RV will have the room for 3 of these.
I will also need a 24 volt to 12 DC convertor for the RV 12 volt load side. I'm looking at the Victron 24/12 volt 70 AMP non-isolated.

So, this is my current plan.

Thanks for your help!!!
Kevin W.

WOW!!!! Sad!:(

8 days and not a single reply to my question.
Did I not post this correctly? Is anybody there????? Anyone????

Kevin

You provided a lot of information .... but what was your question?

Probably just no-one who has used those batteries if your question is about them.

its hard to change over EVERYthing on a OEM 12v system.. not sure the logic of that.. the refrigerator, water heater, pump, lights all run on 12v. why not just keep 12 and get 4-600 of lithium 12v pack and have PLENTY of power when pair with 4-600 watts or more of solar.. KISS.. "keep it simple stupid." :)

we full time in rv and currently have 220 ah of LAB with 460 watts of 12v panels on RV and a single 335 24 volt panel on camper shell of pickup we have NO issues with power for the most part.. going to be upgrading to lithium 280 or 310 ah pack in the fall..

its hard to change over EVERYthing on a OEM 12v system.. not sure the logic of that.. the refrigerator, water heater, pump, lights all run on 12v. why not just keep 12 and get 4-600 of lithium 12v pack and have PLENTY of power when pair with 4-600 watts or more of solar.. KISS.. "keep it simple stupid." :)

we full time in rv and currently have 220 ah of LAB with 460 watts of 12v panels on RV and a single 335 24 volt panel on camper shell of pickup we have NO issues with power for the most part.. going to be upgrading to lithium 280 or 310 ah pack in the fall..
The OP will simply use the DC-DC converter for 12V. The cost of 12x12v 100ah batteries leads me toward the 3 x 24v 200ah route, not to mention the quadrupling of larger cables for the 12v. My plan is identical to the OP's, but I'm also concerned about the harsh environment.

Re

Back