diy solar

diy solar

Using excess solar to heat house

That is actually my main reason to be grid connected. To sell excess energy. And prices in that sense are only getting better and better.

My prices have gone up significantly but the benefits of NEM have eroded as PG&E has shifted the peak time period.

Here in the Netherlands we are still lucky in that, for normal amounts, you still get the same amount of money back per kWh as you pay.
However, this system will eventually go down, I am sure of it.

Still, if you significantly over dimensioned your solar system, in most places it should be worthwile to export it.

Right now my contract is fixed at 30ct (Euro) per kWh throughout the whole year, so the returns are pretty good.
However we are seeing more and more grid problems arrive so I am convinced that this system will go away.

It seems like a electric resistance heater with a 'switch' that turned it on when the batteries were full would be the most cost effective way to go. Anyone have information on a device that would perform this switch?

Reactions: Zwy
It seems like a electric resistance heater with a 'switch' that turned it on when the batteries were full would be the most cost effective way to go. Anyone have information on a device that would perform this switch?
I've used the electric resistance heater in the past before installing a mini split. It works good but the mini split will use 1/3 the electricity compared to the resistive heater for the same btu's. That means you can run the mini split all the time and/or add 2 more units.

For us small system people:

I am using a 500/1000/1500 watt ceramic heater with fan as my dump load on a 1.4Kw system.

On sunny winter days that is enough to take the chill off and is just using the excess energy from my solar while reducing my propane use.

I also use a 60 watt electric blanket under a quilt and sleep like a baby without having to heat the entire cabin and my dogs like it cooler than I do.

Last edited:
Many of us are 'attached' to rural co-ops that hate solar and do everything they can to discourage it. They do not buy back any electricity but at least they will let you offset (only back to zero) within the same month. So no 'banking' up solar excess in the summer for winter use. They will of course happily take any excess you generate for free, they also include a minimum charge for being solar (another $15 a month over the std min $30 a month for all customers). And even tho they will not approve anything without all the UL and every other kind of certification they insist on a 1,000,000 liability policy in case some listed/rated product acts up. Even a fully off grid inverter if attached with grid as an input only requires the full liability policy. Really makes it hard to size a system that gives you the Kw needed to seriously offset your bill in the summer (in Texas) without giving them a lot of free power for at least parts of the year. Am i maybe missing out on the way some of you have your system configured to overcome this?

Why do they hate solar? loss of $ or ?
Wouldn't it be nice if they could perhaps help create a community solar farm or make some positive moves.... :)
Maybe a reaction to something a DIY'er did years back and small rural organizations are just really slow to change once they get poked once. We wont get any relief until Texas (or Washington?) publishes some sort of overriding law to foster solar. Even then they may exempt organizations as small as where I live. Our best bet is that they get bought out by a larger more progressive entity. I miss the independent streak everyone had in Alaska. They would not have allowed a small group of bureaucrats to dictate to them :) Sort of like rural Oregon I expect.

Maybe a reaction to something a DIY'er did years back and small rural organizations are just really slow to change once they get poked once. We wont get any relief until Texas (or Washington?) publishes some sort of overriding law to foster solar. Even then they may exempt organizations as small as where I live. Our best bet is that they get bought out by a larger more progressive entity. I miss the independent streak everyone had in Alaska. They would not have allowed a small group of bureaucrats to dictate to them :) Sort of like rural Oregon I expect.
If you really look at how the alternative energy systems are promoted, it is by big money and politicians that are positioned to profit from alternative energy. This means the little guy gets the shaft, the big money and politicians will get most of those federal dollars. Utilities want a piece of the pie too.

66 tower wind farm being put up less than 2 miles from my home. Investment company (with Warren Buffet as a major shareholder) did all the groundwork, once construction started it gets sold to Mid American (Warren major shareholder). This has occurred over and over in Iowa. They are simply milking the government for all the money they can in both directions.

Meanwhile, my older brother purchased a 17.5Kw wind generator like my younger brother has at his place. He didn't get it up right away, meanwhile the county passes ordinances prohibiting the tower. So he will never install it most likely. But if a large investment company comes in and wants to put up a wind farm, they will bend the rules due to the tax revenue. In this county, the county is looking for ways to spend "all the new money from the wind farm".

Many of us are 'attached' to rural co-ops that hate solar and do everything they can to discourage it
Yes but the larger population areas are typically served by Investor Owned Utilites. There are some co-ops in California but the majority of the California's population is served by the IOUs and some Municipal Utilities like Sacramento and City of Los Angeles. I think Texas is the same way and those are the two largest states in terms of population.

Back