diy solar

diy solar

Using gen.1 Nissan leaf battery pack as home battery backup

Norwegian

Hey guys, here in Norway you can buy used 24kWh battery packs out of the 1.gen Nissan leaf for about 2.000 - 2.500usd and I am too much of a novice to know if there are good reasons not to use one of these packs as a "powerwall" these are packs that have been tested to greater than 85% of the original capacity.

I can't find anything online of people just using a battery pack, straight out of an EV and using it for solar storage or just a backup power system for their home. The "bang for the buck" proposition has me intrigued.

Can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea?

Sincerely yours
Some Norwegian guy

Check the voltage that the pack is set at. Might be difficult to find equipment that is well suited for that level. Looks like the voltage of the pack is 340-403. Without taking it apart to rewire it, you might be stuck with that range. But I'm sure somebody has done it in some way, so I'll watch this thread to see what the story is.

Generic Google search says: The 24 kWh battery module measures 1,188 (W) x 1,570 (L) x 265 mm (H). It weighs 294 kg (648 lbs). The 48 packs of 4 cells each (192 cells in total) provide the rated 360V output.

So unless you can do something with 360v, you are stuck taking the pack apart. I am guessing you are going to end up with some form of a 7 cell pack to get you to 48v (52ish). I just don't know what the cells look like or how hard it would be. I have been interested in this all year, but I am not willing to spend that kind of coin to find out... :)

Who says he can’t strip the pack down and parallel some cells for a more manageable voltage?

Here’s an example of the possibilities

Who says he can’t strip the pack down and parallel some cells for a more manageable voltage?
That is what both responses said :) Unless you can figure out a way to use the 360v, you will have to disassemble the pack and figure out the best way to use the cells.

My brother has built up two 14 kWh packs from gen2 Nissan Leaf cells. If you are comfortable disassembling the EV pack, the rest of the work is straightforward, but time consuming. The Leaf packs from northern climates are going to be in better condition than many from the US (much hotter climate). Let me know if you'd like some pictures. Will be happy to post here.

Hey guys, here in Norway you can buy used 24kWh battery packs out of the 1.gen Nissan leaf for about 2.000 - 2.500usd and I am too much of a novice to know if there are good reasons not to use one of these packs as a "powerwall" these are packs that have been tested to greater than 85% of the original capacity.

I can't find anything online of people just using a battery pack, straight out of an EV and using it for solar storage or just a backup power system for their home. The "bang for the buck" proposition has me intrigued.

Can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea?

Sincerely yours
Some Norwegian guy
this might look mighty interesting to you :

0DB3EAE2-6A54-49B2-A1E0-3003A7AD6F91.jpegHi guys.

I’m using Nissan Leaf batteries now for my home. Yes, it was a lot of work to break it down and rebuild with threaded rod, but worth the effort and I enjoyed the process.

Breaking down the entire battery is the only method of using it, unless you have some major equipment to run the high voltage of the entire battery pack. As far as I know, only solar farms are running the battery’s straight out of the cars without breaking down and re-assembling.

The value proposition is what drove me to use Leaf batteries.

What’s the cell count of that array?

running voltage?? Capacity? Max current draw?

Looks like a great set up, well thought out.

Is someone here who know how to control the batteries as they are in the original battery box

I want to do the same thing but with one or two batteries.
What I need is the can computer that supervises the built-in BMS and keeps the battery in good shape and tell me to stop charge or discharge

What I need is the can computer that supervises the built-in BMS and keeps the battery in good shape and tell me to stop charge or discharge
I am fairly certain no such thing exists for you to acquire.

Those of use what have used leaf modules have pulled them out and reconfigured them in a 7S config for 48v systems.

What about this product to use with a original nissan leaf battery:

Since CAN will not work, set it up to lead-acid battery (appropriate and safe voltage levels). Anyone tried this before?

I want to connect my Nissan ENV-200 to the grid this way. Voltage at the Chademo port seems to be manageable.

What about this product to use with a original nissan leaf battery:

Since CAN will not work, set it up to lead-acid battery (appropriate and safe voltage levels). Anyone tried this before?

I want to connect my Nissan ENV-200 to the grid this way. Voltage at the Chademo port seems to be manageable.
hi, I use the env200 battery 360VDC to the pv input of a hybrid inverter : it works and I have 5000W 240VAC
but it is difficult to catch the 360VDC !
now I will buy a leaf battery for stationary solar, then I have to manage 96s li-ion solar charging...

@bishnoi Hello, have the same idea in my head to use the Nissan Leaf as a battery for a hybrid solar inverter. There are many not expensive hybrid inverters, with high voltage battery support. Could you please explain in more detail the solution you are currently using?

Is this Nissan leaf better than tesla? I want to buy an electric car, but I cannot choose which one would be more energy effective and cheap. Tesla is a widely known one, and it’s the first time I read about Nissan Leaf.
I’ve set my JDM cars for sale, and I am now looking for an electric car not to pay for gas that much and to be exempt from some taxes. Also, I don’t need a car that much anymore, and an electric car is the best for short trips to work and back. That would be enough for me in most cases. There are also many more spots to charge your car now.

Is this Nissan leaf better than tesla?
I am a Tesla Fanboy and have been driving one Tesla since 2016 and the other since 2019. It has active battery cooling and heating whereas the Leaf does not. Leaf battery degradation has been reported in hot climates. The Leaf has less range but is more affordable.
With regard to the title of the thread, I did have a home backup pack of used Leaf cells for a couple of years. I replaced them with EVE LF280sbtwo years ago.

The advantage of a Leaf pack is that the modules are 2P2S so they are nominally 7.4 volts and easily configured into lower voltage packs also. I ran one for a while at 48 volts.

Back