diy solar

diy solar

Using HV panels vs LV

perceval

I had older monocrystaline panels on my previous camper (VW T4), but now building a Luton box truck, I want some newer tech.

Been reading that CIGS is better than mono, so I have looked into that.
The only problem is that CIGS usually come in odd shapes.

So, I have found this panel, it's 155w, 86.9V, 2.66A. I plan on using two, as that's the space available on the roof.
My battery is a 400ah lithium, resting at 13.3V after fully charged.

I plan on getting a 30A MPPT (looking at the Triron line).
I know MMPT can transform the extra voltage into amps, but 87V down to 14.4V is quite the step.

Is it ok to use this kind of panel?

Been spending 2 hours on Google and not finding anything on these higher voltage panels.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.31.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.31.00 PM.png
    226 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.31.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.31.19 PM.png
    599.3 KB · Views: 3
That is pretty high voltage for a 12V system. Have you specced a charge controller that is happy with that? In a small system with short runs like that I don't really see the advantage.

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, newer tech for its own sake rarely translates to measurable benefit. I'm ecstatic with my 330W low-tech polys

Huge step downs aren't that big a deal, but they do carry an efficiency penalty. The step down from 87V is probably about 1-2% less efficient than a step down from 18-20V.

1.656 x .656 = 1.1 sq-m.

At standard irradiance, 155W/1100W = 14.1% efficient.

My cheap polys: https://www.talesunenergy.com/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/data_sheets/TP672P.pdf

1.95 sq-m

330/1950 = 16.9% efficient

Seems to me you're likely paying a premium for something "high tech" that doesn't perform as well as "low tech" solutions.

To your question... Is it okay to use that panel?

Absolutely.

Would I?

No way.

alright.
The Triron 3210 is spec'd for 100V / 390w @ 12V.
These CIGS are not expensive, they sell for about $100 usd each panel of 155w.

Had to look up the efficiency formula, but that one was easy to find on the Net.
So, although supposed to be CIGS, but still under the performance of a poly board... peculiar....

alright.
The Triron 3210 is spec'd for 100V / 390w @ 12V.
These CIGS are not expensive, they sell for about $100 usd each panel of 155w.

Had to look up the efficiency formula, but that one was easy to find on the Net.
So, although supposed to be CIGS, but still under the performance of a poly board... peculiar....

Efficiency is simply how much of the 1000W/sq-m does the panel convert to electricity.

At that wattage a CIGS panel should be MUCH more expensive. The low price and the poor efficiency mean I don't have any confidence that the marketing materials is either accurate or honest.

This article, while 5 years old, raises concerns:

SIGS is more about flexibility and longer life (for a flexible panel). They tend to be physically much larger for a given wattage.

Back